How many pounds can I lose after my tummy tuck without risking more loose skin?

Losing weight after a tummy tuck

Hi.  It is certainly more ideal to lose the weight before a tummy tuck or other body contouring procedure.  If you lose weight afterwards, you may end up with some excess skin, but if that is the case, hopefully you have gotten to a more healthy overall state.  As long as you are not losing too much weight, I would still consider that to be a good situation.  The amount of weight loss that will result in excess skin will differ from one patient to the next.  If so, that can likely be addressed with some resection of that additional skin.  Hope that helps.  Good luck and take care, Dr. Howell

Losing weight After a Tummy Tuck

Thank you very much for your question. Prior to committing to an abdominoplasty procedure, you should be close to your ideal body weight. While some weight fluctuations may occur after surgery, a substantial weight loss can compromise your results. Unfortunately, the number of pounds that can safely be shed before loose skin develops will depend on your individual body type and the elasticity of your skin. My recommendation is that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, experienced in the tummy tuck procedure. He/she will perform a physical examination and review your medical history, determining if you are a good candidate for the abdominoplasty and answering any remaining questions about future weight loss.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

To avoid needing another Tummy Tuck (2nd. intention) you better try to lose all the weight possible BEFORE undergoing surgery.

After any Tummy Tuck patient will lose weight  as the edema resolves. Exercising will be a good way to continue loosing weight and avoiding a second surgery, your skin completion is also a factor.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Abdominoplasty questions

A small amount of weight loss is expected following abdominoplasty.  If you have a large amount of weight that needs to be lost then consider discussing options with your Plastic Surgeon.  Good luck with your journey!

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after tummytuck

Thank you for the great question. It is always recommended before having a tummy tuck to make sure you are at your goal weight before proceeding. You will get the best result possible this way and wont have to worry about redoing the surgery again hopefully ever in the future if you get to a goal weight and maintain it. However, losing about 10 pounds after surgery shouldn't have a huge impact on your results but I wouldn't recommend any more than that. Best wishes and good luck in your journey!

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and weight loss

This is s tough one to answer because so many variables will be involved. How much weight are you talking about?  What weight did you start out at? What is the quality of the skin? etc..

How many pounds can you lose after a tummy tuck?

Great question: In order to have the BEST results I recommend to start a healthy diet, be within 10-15 pounds to your ideal body weight. You body needs protein, iron, nutrients and yes, even fat, to recover properly. It is best to lose this weight prior to having any body contouring surgery to avoid the need for a secondary surgery.  

Gregory C. Gaines, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

How many pounds can I lose after my #tummytuck without risking more loose skin?

VERY good question!  I always recommend to my patients that they be at or at least close to their ideal/goal weight prior to having any body contouring surgery to avoid the need for a second surgery to remove additional skin.  The amount of weight that you could lose is impossible to predict and would also vary widely amongst people depending on their age, body composition, and skin quality.  Your best bet is to engage in a healthy diet & regular exercise regimen (combination of cardio and strength training is best) PRIOR to any surgery--this will minimize the risk of needing a second surgery and help to maintain your post-operative results!  Please make sure to consult with board-certified plastic surgeons for best recommendations! Good luck :)

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your desire to pursue a tummy tuck.  I would recommend you follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight prior to surgery. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results.  Though some patients do elect to continue to lose weight after a tummy tuck, most should limit weight loss to within 5-10% of their body weight.  Best wishes.

Losing weight after tummy tuck

Any time someone loses weight (especially with skin that contains lots of stretch marks), the skin becomes more loose.  It doesn't mean you will necessarily ever need another tummy tuck.  For example, I had one patient that had gastric bypass 3 years after I had performed a tummy tuck on  her and lost 85 pounds.  Though her skin was a little more loose, she still looked great and in no way needed another tuck.  Ideally, you would be within 20 pounds of your goal weight before undergoing contouring surgery, but losing weight post-op may not be a big deal in terms of ruining your result.  As far as your health goes, it's always best to be at your ideal weight.