Do most PS's perform lower body lifts?

I am trying to gauge how important it is for a plastic surgeon to be intimately familiar with LBLs before booking an LBL with them. If the surgeon doesn't perform LBL's regularly, should I keep looking? Also, about out how many LBL's should be in a surgeon's portfolio to ease a patient's mind? Two? Five? Ten?

Do most PS's perform lower body lifts?

Maybe 1 to 2 per month or several dozen overall procedures may be enough to ease your mind.

Lower body lift

Hello and thank you for your question . I would say probably not. Since it is an easy surgery to perform mediocrely but very complicated to get a superior result and not a masculinized look, you should look for a plastic surgeon who specializes in this type of procedure and performs hundreds of them.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Experience with Lower Body Lifts

It is very important that you choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with body lift procedures.   As surgeons we get better with experience.  Look for an extensive before/after gallery of body lift procedures to gauge a surgeon's experience and outcomes.  A common first line of attack for patients who have lost weight is a body lift procedure. Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy = lower body lift.   This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  I often perform buttock auto-augmentation at the time of a body lift.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has extensive experience in body contouring after weight loss to learn more about your options.  

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Find a surgeon with extensive experience.

A lower body lift should help the person recreate natural contours of their trunk and to do so the planning and performance of the surgery is paramount.  Your best results will likely come from a surgeon with extensive experience with this procedure.  Visit several doctors, check the before and after photos on the their website and find a board certified plastic surgeon who you feel comfortable with and confident in.  Good luck.

Lower body lift

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend looking for a plastic surgeon who regularly performs lower body lifts.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Do most Plastic Surgeons perform body lifts?

They may, but my recommendation is to look for a Plastic Surgeon who performs them on a regular basis and is therefore familiar with the operation and you achieve the result you want. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and get a consultation to look for results.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Lower body lift

rThank you for your question. As plastic surgeons, we are trained to handle man surgical scenarios and are capable of performing both reconstructive as well as aesthetic procedures. However, its not really a question of whether or not all plastic surgeons can perform the procedure, rather are they experienced at the procedure and they able to provide the optimal result.  There are many nuances with lower body lifts that can make or break a result. Incision placement, fat contouring in neighboring zones, gluteal crease management, buttock volume manipulation, waistline contouring, and muscle shaping to name a few.  Extreme weight loss patients are handled differently than aesthetic body lift patients.  Be very specific with your goals and expectations and find a board certified plastic surgeon who is proficient as well as confident in performing your LBL as it can lead to amazing results.

John Renucci, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lower body lift surgery

Thank you for your question.   The answer is no.  They can be lengthy surgeries without a lot of suturing so some plastic surgeons prefer to do shorter operations like breast augmentations.  Also, not everyone is exposed to post-bariatric patients during their training.  However, this has changed over the last 10 years as we have seen a large increase in massive weight loss patients.  Lower body lifts are not that common, so I would expect to see a few in surgeon's portfolio.  Good luck.  

Do most PS's perform lower body lifts?

Most plastic surgeons perform body lifts and it has become increasingly popular over the last decade. The overall number that a plastic surgeon may perform in one year is quite variable. My personal opinion is 10 procedures performed would be adequate experience. Two additional points: 1) See a board-certified plastic surgeon 2) Avoid traveling to other cities or countries for your procedure.

Lower body plastic surgeon

The answer is no, no all plastic surgeons perform body lifts.  Foe example in our practice we are three plastic surgeons and not ll perform  all plastic surgery operations  we all have our fortes so we after more experience in the different areas of plastic surgery.   Experience is very important especially in after weigh loss surgeries.