What type of compression garment is needed with a tummy tuck?

Compression garment post tummy tuck

The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full timethen for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office.

Tummy Tuck Advice

Greetings Thank you for your question, Abdominal garment is to protect the wound and give support Daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck post op needs, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
After a tummy tuck I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Compression Garment

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. 

Tummy tuck binder

Dear Tyra,    The purpose of the abdominal garment is to protect the wound and give support , so patients feel more secure and comfortable during the immediate recovery period and sometimes beyond. In my surgery center, I provide my patients with abdominal Velcro binder that they have to wear for minimum of 3 weeks. Few wear it for longer period, because they feel more secure with it.              I hope this is helpful,                                                       Dr Widder

Compression Garment

I typically use a Velcro and elastic binder which goes from the lower ribs to the hips for about one week after an abdominoplasty. If I have done liposuction, then I change the patient to a long line compression garment which looks like a corset which goes from rib cage to thighs and is used over foam pads for six weeks. If I have done fat grafting on the buttocks, then I use a garment with a cutout to avoid pressure on this area.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon