Why is it that most of my friends who got the BBL surgery needed blood transfusions after?

I want this surgery soo bad cuz I have no one curve..but I have the sickle cell trait and I'm scared for my life ..being that all my friends except one I know b of got this procedure and needed a blood transfusion after..

BBL and Blood Transfusions

Thanks for your question.  Actually, most patients do not require blood transfusions after BBL.   If an adequate amount of tumescent fluid is used and liposuction is done safely, a blood transfusion is pretty rare.  I hope this is helpful. 

Sickle cell and blood transfusion

Hello,  thank you for your question.  I understand your concern about having surgery and the risk of getting blood transfusion especially if you have sickle cell trait.   A good evaluation of a blood doctor is needed before your surgery.  However,  most of the liposuction and BBL won't need blood transfusion.   Blood transfusion after surgery need to have specific indications and should not be considered as a normal practice after surgery.  Have a great day.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

BBL & Blood Transfusion

Hello and Great Question.  I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure.  My name is Dr. Matthew J. Nykiel.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, a Fellowship Trained Cosmetic Surgeon, and a Butt Augmentation Specialist. I understand your concern with Sickle Cell Trait; I would want to work closely together with your Blood Doctor to make sure you were medically optimized prior to surgery.  Bleeding and Blood Transfusions are a risk to ANY procedure.  If your friends have an bleeding issues, that may be the reason.  Otherwise, based on the most current peer-reviewed publication, the overall complication rate is 9.9%; bleeding and blood transfusions are not in that list.  
Best of Luck!  Please reach out if you have any further questions or concerns. Matthew J. Nykiel, MD
Butt Augmentation Specialist