I am 95 lbs and unhappy with my upper arms. Am I a good candidate for Zeltiq Coolsculpting? (photo)

I've always been incredibly unhappy with my upper arms--no matter how I work out they do not decrease, and even at my thinnest they were out of proportion to the rest of my arms and upper body. I am a professional dancer, and I am actually very small, usually around 95 pounds, never above 100. Would I still be able to have the coolsculpting procedure even though I'm petite? I'm also worried about any nerve damage--I need my arms to dance!

Treating fat in upper arms

Your arms look pretty good to me, but if there is a significant amount of extra fat there, it may be able to be treated with CoolSculpting.  Right now, your contour is very smooth and even.  Arms can be unforgiving and reduction of fat can cause contour irregularities, so be sure to talk about that with your doctor.

Middletown Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for upper arms

One always needs to examine a patient who is considering fat reduction. If an i ch or more of fat can be "pinched" in the area to be treated, CoolSculpting using the new CoolFit applicator would be effective. if tightening is also desired, PelleFirm tratments would be helpful.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Coolsculpting

If you can pinch it, you can freeze it.Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting for upper arms of a dancer.

Zeltiq, the makers of CoolSculpt have released an applicator that can be used on the upper arms. Every patient is different, so best to get a consult from a certified, experienced CoolSculpt office. It is a very nice non-surgical option, especially for those who cannot have post surgical downtime. We also do liposuction, and brachioplasty, (arm-lifts). There are benefits and downsides to each procedure. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon who does these procedures and together you will make a plan that is right for you.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting for arms

Coolsculpting is not approved by the FDA for arms. Some centers do perform coolsculpting treatments on arms. The company feedback is that the results vary greatly with some patients very happy and others disappointed.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and Upper Arms

Coolsculpting is an excellent way to freeze an area of fat and reduce it by 20 percent.  The new coolfit applicator has been used in these ways to reduce inner thigh fat and upper arms.  Coolsculpting will not tighten the skin.  I have had excellent results using Coolsculpting to first reduce the fat and then Thermage to tighten the skin.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Coolsculpting for the best results.

Coolsculpting is an excellent choice for upper arms

CoolSculpting works well in the upper arms for fat reduction and some skin tightening.  It is non-surgical, no anesthesia and no recovery time is needed.  It would be an excellent choice for you with your busy dance schedule.  Make sure you visit with a physician that has experience treating the upper arm area.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Upper arm options

I don't think Coolsculpting is a good option for you due to your small size. Other options for your upper arm area would be exilis which uses radiofrequency energy to tighten skin and reduce fat. Another option is probably the Thermigen procedure which uses radiofrequency energy delivered internally in the fat and subcutaneous layer via a fiber.

I am unhappy with my upper arms. Am I a good candidate for Coolsculting?

Coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. You need enough fatty tissue to be pulled between two freezing plates- otherwise it will not work. You may consider working with a personal trainer instead.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon