How should I prepare for being home post-op BA? And how long should I make these accommodations?

I want to make sure that I can reach for things around the house (i.e.: cupboards, closets, frig, etc.) and that these every day tasks won't interfere with my healing process post-operatively. I'm starting to make the common sense adjustments, like bring the stored cat food down from the top shelf. Store coffee grounds in a lighter container, etc. what am I missing that I havent thoughts about?

Post-op Preparation for Breast Augmentation?

For starters you should follow the recommendations of your surgeon. We encourage early post-operative mobility which includes gentle stretching of your chest muscles starting in the recovery room. This helps prevent the chest muscles from spasming and will make your recovery easier and quicker. Patients are told that they can use their arms including raising above their head to reach something in a cupboard, but to move slowly and avoid lifting heavier objects. Common sense restrictions apply, such as if something feels uncomfortable then you should back off. Basic everyday activities are fine, but jumping jacks or painting your kitchen ceiling should be avoided. 

How long is the recovery from BA?

My patients can usually return to normal activities within a few days and full activity within 2weeks. If the implant is placed under the muscle it tends to hurt more than on top. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post Breast Augmentation

Recovery from Breast Augmentation can be a little variable however for most patients the amount of time in pain is short.  Patients may only require pain medications for a few days or less.  It is helpful to be up and walking right away after surgery but most surgeons want to you wait a period of 3-6 weeks before doing any aggressive physical exercise or lifting objects over 10 pounds.  It is helpful to do as many household chores which might require pushing or lifting as you can ahead of time or plan to have someone help you with these things for a while.

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for your questions! I would follow your surgeon's recommendations but you are off to a great start. Generally you should avoid lifting or carrying any weight over 10 pounds for the next 2-6 weeks. Have someone who can help you during the next couple of days while you get yourself situated. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Thank you for your question.  Hopefully her plastic surgeon has provided typed instructions for your postoperative care.  I recommend that my patients have someone staying with them who can take them home from the hospital and stay at the house at least the first night after breast augmentation.  If the patient has small children I also suggest that someone be available to help with child care during the first 2-3 days after breast augmentation.  Although I encouraged patients to be active to be up and walking and start gentle arm lifting and pectoralis muscle contraction exercises the day after surgery I do not want medications lifting anything heavier than 5 pounds during the first  2 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation.  Lower body exercises can be started at 2 weeks  but upper body heavy lifting  pushups and weightlifting should be avoided for 6 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation.

Post Op Activity Restriction

Most of my patients feel able to carry on with daily routine post op but do reduce arm movement for a few days and avoid heavy lifting- over 10 lbs- for 6 weeks post op. I also advise against cardio exercise so while walking is good for recovery, my restrictions do interfere with more substantial daily exercise routines. Depending on the type of work someone does, some of my patients will return to work within 5 days, others may take longer. I recommend that you discuss your specific needs and your individual situation with your Plastic Surgeon as each has their own preferred protocols.
Take care

You are forgetting about nutrition which is critical

Key factors in the healing of any wound are nutrition and vitamin supplements.  There are specially formulated vitamins that are designed to optimize your healing that we use from Vitamedica.  In addition, we use Arnica and Bromelian to reduce the swelling and bruising.  Before and after surgery, nutrition is a key component that is overlooked by almost every patient and surgeon.  After the operation, your calorie and protein requirements are increased.  We design a nutritional regimen for each patient which is provided to them during the preoperative teaching.  In order to meet the calorie and protein requirements after surgery, the patients typically supplement using protein shakes.  Calorie and protein intake are recorded on a log that we provide and review at the postoperative visits.  The combination of homeopathic medicines, vitamins supplementation, and adequate calorie and protein intake are critical to the wound healing process.  Prior to surgery, we ask the patients to stop all of their own supplements as some can cause problems with bleeding during and after surgery.

Post op Breast Aug

Hi Leyla.  It sounds like you are already off to a great start.  Every surgeon has his/her own preferences so make sure you ask your PS what they recommend.  General rule of thumb is no lifting greater then or equal to 10 lbs for the first two weeks after surgery.  Also no activity that would allow bouncing to your breasts or heart rate elevation (no exertion).  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Good Thinking!

Hi Leylabunbury, It sounds like you're on top of it! Scanning your environment for anything high up to bring down and heavy that can be made lighter. Keeping in mind when you're in a hurry, moving through your day after surgery your main day to day items like work bags, grocery bags and laundry baskets need to be accommodated as well. Review everything with your doc and nurse at your pre-op, they should give you exact perimeters for what can and can not be done in which time frames. (Example: Nothing heavier than 10 lbs. lifted for at least 2 weeks after surgery.) You should be good to go!

William Aiello, MD

Preparation for BA

We have our patients meet with our nurse educator two weeks before surgery to review in detail a printed booklet that goes over all these issues. Check with your surgeon to see if they have this available to you so that you will be completely prepared for your procedure and recovery.