Got lipo done for gynecomastia 6 weeks ago. Will I need a revision or is this swelling? (Photo)

My surgeon told me he would lipo first then excise tissue if he felt he needed to. He ended up just doing lipo. The first day post-op my chest looked flat, but since then things have gotten worse. The upper part of my chest is definitely flatter, but the nipples/areolas stick out and feel firm. I had a follow up last week and my surgeon said its swelling, but its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel knowing it isn't perfect yet.

It is too early to determine whether additional surgery is required.  You probably still have some swelling. It might take a few more weeks for the swelling to subside. Then, I would recommend an in person consultation. Good luck.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia Revision

Thank you very much for your question and photograph. Unfortunately, it can take from three to four months, sometimes longer, for all of the residual swelling to resolve after a liposuction procedure. For this reason, it is too early to decide if a revision gynecomastia procedure will be necessary. However, if your large breasts were the result of excess glandular tissue, and your surgeon opted for liposuction alone, you will continue to see puffy nipples and prominent tissue. In this case, excision may be required to eliminate the unwanted glandular tissue, and achieve the flat, smooth chest you are looking for. My suggestion is that you discuss these concerns with your operating surgeon. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

How long does swelling last after lipo?

I tell my male patients that about 50% of swelling will go after #liposuction for #gynecomastia in about one month and the rest will go over several months and even up to a year. During this healing time, the areas of #lipo will be hard, uneven, numb but it should eventually become soft.  If you did get fluid that was drained, this will last longer. This is the same when I do #ultra high definition #liposculpture for the #six pack look of the abdomen too. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia with nipple swelling

It is very rare that the discoid tissue under the nipple does not require excision. This is an integral part of gynecomastia repair. Although there is some swelling, I believe that as the swelling resolves over your breast you will notice more prominence of the discoid tissue. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Nipple Swelling post gynaecomastia surgery

Hi and thank you for your question. I would say 6 weeks post-op is really too soon to make any kind of judgement on how your final result will look. Make sure you wear your compression garment at all times for at least 6 weeks post op and if you find it comfortable you can wear it for longer. You must consult your plastic surgeon who did the surgery for you to review the results. Some patients might need a second operation to remove the glandular component of their breast once they recover from the liposuction, and this is an accepted way of approaching surgical correction of gynaecomastia (if it is deemed not necessary to excise it in the first operation). Good luck and be diligent with wearing the compression garment.

Concerned About Swelling 6 Weeks Post Gynecomastia Surgery

You are still early in your healing process. A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.
If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.