My left breast has a capsular contraction, what is the recovery for a submuscular breast revision surgery? (Photo)

My left breast has a capsular contraction, pushing it towards the middle and rotating the breast outward. What can I expect my recovery to be like as I am going from 350 CC to 325 CC to match my other breast? The implants are submuscular. will recovery be less painful but take more time for recovery?

My left breast has a capsular contraction, what is the recovery for a submuscular breast revision surgery?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, your surgeon will have to evaluate you and if he considers you will need a revision. I am very sorry this happened to you, a capsular contracture is very painful. Best wishes,

Capsular contracture recovery

Recovery for this surgery should be very straight forward.  It should honestly not be as painful as your first surgery. I would still be careful for two weeks as in no exercise or exertion just like any surgery.  Other then that it should be an easier recovery.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Capsular contracture

the left breast also looks larger.  if it expanded sometime after the original procedure that brings up the possibility that it could be a fluid collection or seroma, or even a low grade infection such as atypical mycobacterial infection.Did the left side have more bruising and swelling after the first procedure? if it did it could have had a hematoma which can cause contracture.  lastly if it is a seroma the fluid would need to have cytology studies, and the scar capsule particularly if it has any nodules should be sent for pathological studies to rule out the rare occurance of anaplastic large cell lymphoma ( a rare but malignant tumor that could be related to the use of certain textured implants ).  if you have a contracture the recovery will depend on what needs to be done, but if a capsulotomy is all that is needed, one or two weeks.  If scar capsulectomy is needed, recovery will be longer and   a drain my be needed to prevent a hematoma which could result in recurrence of the contracture .

William Jervis, Jr., MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon

What is the recovery for capsular contracture?

You have quite a bit of asymmetry and I would form a neopocket or new space and change the implant. You would require several days usually from light activity and two weeks from all activity.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after capsular contraction.

After submuscular capsular contraction surgery, you will be able to drive in 2 days usually, but you will be sore.  You will be able to go to full time exercise in 4-6 weeks, but obviously can walk for long distances 2-3 days after surgery.

My left breast has a capsular contraction, what is the recovery for a submuscular breast revision surgery

I am afraid that although parts of the surgery have already been done, due to the extent of re-positioning of the implant required, that your discomfort and healing will be about the same as the first time

Julio Garcia, MD

Capsular Contracture and Revision

So sorry you are having this problem. It appears from your photo and aside from excising the capsule, attention to your inframammary fold may be needed as well as it appears different from the other breast. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast Revision

Hello and thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are experiencing.  I think for your best outcome, it would help if you had pre-operative photos and maybe even photos after your surgery before your "capsular contracture."  Your amount of nipple asymmetry looks more than the typical "capsular contracture" and I wonder if you had such nipple asymmetry pre-op.  I am also not sure that a 25 cc difference in implants will offset your asymmetry -- your pre-op photos will really help with this.  Furthermore, if you really have capsular contracture, the techniques utilized to remedy this may cause you to have a looser pocket because when the scar (capsule) is released, the skin may become looser.  It also appears that your left breast may have bottomed out unless you had major inframammary fold level asymmetries before your surgery.  Regardless, don't worry about all these details.  You are correct that for breast revision surgery will most likely be less painful than your original augmentation; recovery time depends on what gets done.  The good news is that your asymmetry can be much improved.  For your best outcome, please go to a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in breast revision surgery.  I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Based on your photos, it appears that you have implant malposition, rather than capsular contracture. Treatment would require capsulorrhaphy sutures to repair your implant pocket, not a capsulectomy. This surgery is not particularly painful. An in person evaluation would be the best way to determine the best treatment. Thank you for sharing your photo and concerns. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Gregory Park, MD

Contracture Surgery Recovery

That really is a million dollar question because I am not sure how sever the contracture is, how much work needs to be done. Under the muscle is certainly a bit more difficult to remove the capsule and will leave you a little more sore than if it were above the muscle. I can not really tell you how sore you will be after and I am not sure anyone really can. You will be sore for sure. Anytime muscle work is involved you will be sore. I do not let my patients do anything strenuous exercise or weight lifting for 6 weeks. Especially on revision cases like this because the potential for placing sutures inside the pocket to reshape it. 

Richard J. Brown, MD