Does Kybella really work?

Dr. Von Maur, I am in my early 50's and have a double chin, does Kybella really work? If so, does it work in other areas of the body as well? Is there a lot of pain? Thank you.

Kybella

Yes, Kybella really works, eliminating the bubble of submental fat under the chin. However, it only addresses excess fat, not skin laxity. As of now, it is only FDA approved for treating the under chin area. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Does Kybella really work?

Kybella is an exciting new injectable treatment that really does work to reduce submental fullness or excess fat in the neck.  It has been rigorously studied and is safe and effective when properly administered by an experienced physician.  Every once in a while in cosmetic dermatology we get a "game changer" that opens up brand new possibilities in how we can help our patients using non-invasive techniques.   Botox was a game changer.  Fillers were another game changer.  Kybella is such a product.Best,Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella and Effect

Kybella is an amazing permanent injection to reduce submental fat. It absolutely works. It can take two to four treatments to have permanent effect. Please consult an expert in Kybella for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella

Hello, and thanks for your question. Yes, for the correct candidate Kybella injection is a great treatment for submental fullness. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Kybella really work?

Yes, Kybella does work. Kybella is the only FDA approved injectable for fat reduction in the submental or chin area. We recommend 2-4 treatments 6-8 weeks apart. Initially, you will have swelling making the area look larger than normal. We recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as not everyone is a good candidate; for example, if you have lots of excess loose skin, you may be a candidate for a neck lift instead of Kybella. The results of Kybella are very gratifying. Also, Kybella is effective in reducing axillary or bra fat. It may be possible to avoid liposuction if you are a candidate for Kybella.

Burr von Maur, MD

Kybella is effective at removing the double chin

Kybella is a very effective nonsurgical treatment to remove the submental fat, or double chin. It is important to remember that a minimum of 2 treatments is required to see results. Most patients need between 2 and 3 treatments to see noticeable results. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

For the right candidate yes. Kybella is the only FDA approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness. Most patients experience minimal to no discomfort during treatment. It is typically performed in a series of 2-4 treatments. I would recommend an in person consultation to discuss your goals, candidacy, and what expect during and after treatment. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

Kybella works but takes many treatments and typically wont give you full neck contouring.  I suggest a formal consultation, VASER lipo may be a better option for contouring and fat reduction, unless you are a neck lift candidate.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella really works! In fact, it works better....

than I expected.  Very little downside to it, totally customizable, and little if any downtime.  Of course, a consult is needed to discuss the full spectrum of the medication. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Like most injections, Kybella works if used in the right cadidate and with the appropriate technique. Kybella helps dissolve the fat under the chin but will not remove or tighten extra skin. Most patients will require more than one treatment to get the desired effect. It is FDA-approved for a very specific area directly under the chin. Using Kybella in other areas of the body is considered off-label use and there are no current large-scale or long-term studies available to determine how well it works in other parts of the body. Most patients describe a burning/aching pain during and immediately after the injection and there is noticeable swelling. You can expect to have some residual numbness and tingling for several weeks after the injection in the area that is injected but it would not necessarily feel "painful." It is important to have a thorough in-office examination to determine where your submental fat (Double chin fat) is located and whether you will get a good result from Kybella. If you are not an ideal candidate for Kybella, there are still other options, both surgical and non-surgical, to help improve your jaw and neck countour. Hope this helps!Johnson C. Lee, MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician