I had lower bleph surgery 8 days ago and my concern is the placement of the incisions.

The incisions were placed below my eyelashes and I asked doctor why they weren't higher and he told me sometimes lash follicles can be damaged and lashes dye. I'm afraid I won't be able to conceal scars with eye makeup because they are too far away from my eyes. When sutures were removed I have what looks like a blood blister on the incision with bruising around it. Sorry, no photos

Lower eyelid incisions

Not to worry - even when there is a little bit of gap between the lashes and the incision on the lower eyelid, over 2-3 months these scars fade dramatically, and will usually hide really well.  Hang in there.

Lower Eyelid Incisions

Based on your description, without seeing photos, your incision is likely in the appropriate area. The good news is eyelid incisions heal very well and very quickly. Your healing process so far sounds appropriate to me. Good luck to you. 

Eric J. Yavrouian, MD
Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

More time

These incisions usually heal well. You need to give it more time to allow for adequate healing....at least several months.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid incisions

Thank you for your question.  Please don't worry, even when there is a bit of a gap between the lashes and the incision the scar tends to heal very nicely.  Give it a few months. I'm sure you will have a nice result.

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD

Too early to tell

You should discuss it with your doctor, and be patient. Very few eyelid incisions are visible after 6-12 months. The small blister should be addressed by your doctor, but should resolve.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lower Blepharoplasty Incisions

In general, blepharoplasty scars heal fantastic.  Follow up with your surgeon and stay out of the sun for scar management.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Healing from lower eyelid blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. As an eyelid specialist, I not only frequently perform lower eyelid blepharoplasty, but also see many patients who have had complications from this surgery performed by other physicians. After only eight days, it's very difficult to know what the final result will look like. Even if the incision is made several millimeters below the eyelash line, it will usually heal very well with very minimal scarring. Also,  I will tell you, from my experience I have seen many more complications due to the incision being too close to the eyelashes, not too far away. My advice is to bring up your concerns to your doctor, but also have patience and allow the area to heal.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty incision

Thank you for the question. At 8 days post surgery it is impossible to judge the scar. Usually, the scar following lower blepharoplasty take about a year to reach maximal improvement. It can even get a little worse the first few weeks before it starts to resolve. You should wear sunglasses to avoid tanning the wound. Give it time to heal. Good luck,

Position of a Lower lid Blepharolpasty Scar

Typically, the incision for a lower lid blepharoplasty can be made 2-3 mm below the lid margin.  The eyelid skin usually heals very well.  Give your incision at  minimal 3 months to heal before you judge the quality of the scar.  

Lower lid incision visible

Hi. At 8 days post op you are still very early in the healing process. The incisions will usually fade significantly with time. Without more information it is hard to give an opinion regarding the surgical technique (transconjuctival - incision made on the inside of the eyelid vs. transcutaneous - incision made below the lashes). It is also difficult to specifically comment on the placement of the incisions or to say exactly what the "blood blisters" are since there are no photos. Sometimes there can be swelling around the edge of the incision that looks like a blister- these usually goes away with time. 

At this point it is generally best to let your body heal. Usually things will settle down. If you are unhappy after a few months, then a revision may be possible. Hope this helps. Best regards, Ira Vidor, M.D.

Ira Vidor, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon