Tanning and swimming after Breast Augmentation?

How long do I have to wait after my BA before I can tan in the tanning bed and swim in the lake/ocean/pool?

Swimming post op

Recovery varies but if you are talking about the ocean on either coast (ie waves) I would wait at least 6 weeks for safety.

Tanning and Swimming After Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question!  Scars take at least one year to fade.  During this time, you must protect them from the sun.  Even through a bathing suit, a good deal of sunlight can reach the skin and cause damage.  Wear a sunscreen with a skin-protection factor at all times when in the sunshine.  Be extremely careful if areas of your breast skin have reduced sensitivity.  I typically like to see my patients prior to giving such clearance.  As everyone heals differently, I would advise you to go see your plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation and be examined if you are ready for tanning and swimming.  I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Tanning and swimming after breast augmentation

Opinions will vary as you can tell from the numerous answers you receive.  It is certainly best to follow the recommendations of your own particular surgeon.  The are two concerns regarding swimming.  The first is when can the incisions get wet, and the second is when are the physical activities involved with swimming permissible.  I typically have my patients wait 3-4 weeks before they have any water contact other than their daily showers.  There is also a difference between swimming and simply cooling off in the pool.  Swimming utilizes your chest muscles and I would avoid that for about 6 weeks.  You can probably splash aroiund after a few weeks.   Regarding the tanning bed, it is never really recommended due to the long term damage that UV rays can cause to you skin.  However if you must go, I would wait about 3-4 weeks and cover the incisions with a band aid so as to complete block the UV rays from you incision as this can cause darker scarring.  Best wishes!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tanning and swimming

Each plastic surgeon I'm sure will have their own thoughts on these questions and I can only give you what I tell my patients. Tanning is possible after a few weeks but I recommend covering the red incision with tape so that it doesn't turn more brown. As far as swimming goes, I allow my patients to swim in a chlorinated pool in one week and a lake or river in a month. Find out from your plastic surgeon what they think. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. Though each surgeon will maintain their own protocol, I favor allowing your incisions to heal for 4 weeks before submerging them in water or using a tanning bed.  Be sure to continue to use scar minimization techniques, especially with tanning, to improve your results. 

Exercise post aug

Every doctor is different but I usually tell my patients about 4-6 weeks post op they can swim,run etc.Be careful with tanning if your chest sensitivity is diminished.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tanning and swimming after Breast Augmentation

Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative.  You will want to protect new incisions from UV light for several months so that your scars do not discolor. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Thank you for your question. Every plastic surgeon has their own protocols. I would recommend speaking to your surgeon for post-operative guidelines and tips. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD