Only lost five pounds post tummy tuck with lipo. Why? (Photo)

Why did I only loose five pounds after my tummy tuck with lipo? I look so much different and wear a smaller size. I have been working out about 5 to 6 days a week doing 40 minutes of cardio and an hour of weight training. I'm including before and after photos.

Weight lost after tummy tuck with liposuction

A tummy tuck is a body contouring procedure and not a weight loss procedure.  Five pounds is actually a lot of tissue removal for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  Don't be concerned, because you got a great result.  

"Only" lost 5 pounds with a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question and for the helpful photos.  Tummy tucks and liposuction are NOT for weight loss, nor do they translate into a lot of weight loss.  However, they are powerful contouriong tools.  Your photos show dramatic and beautiful results!  Don't let the numbers on the scale make you feel like you didn't get great results.  You certainly did.

Warmly,
Dr. Kavali

Carmen Kavali, MD

Tummy tuck and lipo are not for weight loss

Tummy tucks and liposuction are body contouring procedures so any actual weight loss is a bonus. It takes a surprising amount of tissue removal to obtain 5 lbs. Presumably now you have more lean body mass.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck and weight loss

It's a good question. Most people think that they will lose a significant amount of weight during a tummy tuck and liposuction procedure. However, even though the tissue removed makes a big visual difference in the person's size and shape it actually doesn't weigh very much. This is why body contouring procedures are designed to improve shape, but are not meant for weight loss.

Congratulations on a beautiful result!

Weight loss after tummy tuck & liposuction

Tummy-tuck and liposuction are contouring procedures and not weight loss procedures. Postop contour is what matters - and not really weight loss.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Only 5 lbs. weight loss after TT/Lipo

Based on the photos you provided, your results look excellent! It also appears as if you had a breast lift procedure. I am not surprised at all about a 5 lb. weight loss as the TT/Lipo procedures are body contouring procedures not weight loss procedures. Hopefully you had these procedures to improve your body contour rather than as a way to lose weight. Hopefully your PS spent some time discussing this with you preopertively. It's all about how you look not what you weigh so be happy that you seem to have a very nice result from your procedures. Best wishes. 

Weight loss after tummy tuck

Congrats on your result. You look great!  A tummy tuck and liposuction is a shaping procedure and not a weight loss procedure so I am not surprised that the difference is only 5 pounds. Concentrate on your fabulous new shape. Below is a patient who did not lose much weight but, like you,  looks great also. Best wishes,

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss with lipo and TT

Thank you for your question. You have a good result and you like it. Both TT and Lipo are not weight loss procedures and we don't expect to loose reasonable weight.

Weight loss with tummy tuck and lipo

You have a nice result. The reason you did not lose too much weight with your procedures is because fat is not very dense and does not weigh that much. 

Only lost five pounds post tummy tuck with lipo. Why?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  I agree that you have obtained a very nice outcome and new silhouette after surgery.  Aesthetic surgery does not routinely cause a substantial reduction in overall weight, as skin and adipose tissue weighs very little.  Surgery is performed in order to enact some overall shape change for the patient.  That said your results will continue to improve with time, and as the swelling from surgery resolves you will see some continued weight loss.  Hope that this helps.