Should I get a nose job? (photos)

i have hated my nose my entire life. My boyfriend finally agreed to pay for me to get my nose done. I am just wondering what some surgeons think and others. Also I live in a small province and I could only find one plastic surgeon here that even does rhinoplasty. My consultation is on November.7th. Notice the bottom of my nose is what I dislike. The tip is like a little ball and it has a line in the middle of tip and it is also uneven on the tip. One side is more droopy.

You need to learn how to conduct your consultation.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

The areas you notice are caused by your strong tip cartilages. You can see their outlines under your skin. You can see the "dent" between the cartilages, and how the one on the left hangs lower than the one on the right. The cartilages are making the tip look wide, and they also make the tip point down, making the nose look longer, like in the short animation posted just above.

In the modification, I narrowed *and elevated* your tip, got rid of the little dent, and took down the small bump on the bridge.

You almost certainly will have to travel to have a good rhinoplasty. Very few rhinoplasty surgeons can handle the changes illustrated in the morph, so it's unlikely that your local guy can do it. 

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for achieving a narrower and less distracting nasal appearance.

The decision to get a nose job is entirely up to you. You appear to have thin skin which may be more prone to reveal irregularities after rhinoplasty. If you decide to move forward, you may consider consulting with one or two rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what might be best for you. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

The photographs demonstrate a bulbous and asymmetrical nasal tip, along with a wide bridge and a slight dorsal hump.  All of this can be addressed with a closed rhinoplasty approach by making all incisions on the inside of the nose.  No external incision is necessary.  The bulbous tip is reduced with suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal.  The nasal bridge can be narrowed with osteotomies and the dorsal hump filed down. Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so make sure you are seeking out a surgeon with extensive experience in the procedure and they perform  the procedure often on a weekly basis. Digital computer imaging would also be helpful at time of the consultation to understand what can be accomplished with  your nose on your facial features.  For more information and many  before and after examples,  please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tip rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can give you a nasal examination and an accurate opinion on how to correct the things you are unhappy with about your nose. It looks as though you do have a slight bulbous tip and would benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

It looks like you could benefit from an open tip rhinoplasty . One challenge is that you like many patients have very thin skin and this is why you have such a prominent groove in the middle of the tip - with such thin skin it may be beneficial for the surgeon to use a fascial graft over the re-shaped cartilage to hide any edges and soften the tip .Left and right tip cartilages are not aligned accounting for tip asymmetry

Good luck

Should I get a nose job?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon