5 days post labiaplasty without clitoral hood reduction (photo)

Traveled to get a labiaplasty, unfortunately without clitoral hood reduction. I asked my surgeon prior and he claimed I didn't need it and how it's considered "abusive". I'm very discouraged with my results. I want my labia minora not to protrude my labia majora. Is this possible?

Labiaplasty and hood reduction

Hello,It appears that you may benefit from a hood plasty and further reduction of the labia minora to achieve smooth contours.  If you are dissatisfied with your results after 6 months, a revision can help achieve your goal to further reduce the labia minora and excess hood tissues. Regards,Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                    Village Plastic Surgery

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Clitoral hood reduction candidates

Your result looks nice, but you do have some redundant skin of the clitoral hood. A clitoral hood reduction is a well tolerated procedure that may be performed under local anesthesia. It makes patients happy.  Removing the clitoris is something that is done is some cultures in Africa, and in my opinion it is cruel and abusive.  It is a totally different procedure.  The clitoral hood is not important for maintaining clitoris sensation.

David Stoker, MD

Labiaplasty revision + clitoral hood reduction

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You had a trimming labiaplasty but you still have considerable asymmetry of your labia minora, excess skin at the bottom of your vagina, and an enlarged, protuberant clitoral hood.  However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. The clitoral hood is the skin above the labia minora and the skin that overlies the head of the clitoris. The type of hood reduction depends on the patients anatomy and desires. I routinely remove the sides of the clitoral hood with a labia minora reduction if there is excess tissue.  If the skin overlies the head or glans of the clitoris, that can be reduced. If the patient has a very large, protuberant, long, wide clitoral hood, I invented a procedure called a clitoropexy with a clitoral hood reduction.  With this procedure, I lift up the clitoral hood skin, move the clitoris closer to the pubic bone, thin the tissues under the clitoral hood skin, and then remove a large amount of excess skin. This results in a dramatic decrease in the length, thickness, and protuberance of the clitoral hood, so that the hood is now within the labia majora when the woman stands. I have performed this procedure over 250 times with outstanding results. This clitoropexy with hood reduction procedure would give you the best chance for keeping your clitoral hood within the labia majora.You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.
Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

5 days post labiaplasty without clitoral hood reduction

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately if I take your narrative to be your desired results, once healed you will not have attained your goal appearance.  In order to reduce the length of your labia minora to have it tucked behind your majora you would best be served with a wedge resection and clitoral hood reduction to remove the excess tissue present.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labiaplasty work to maximize your next surgery's results, 3-6 months from now. 

Revision will be needed for your severely underdone labiaplasty

The entire length of the labia and clitoral hood needs to be revised. It appears that the entire posterior central area of loose skin was also completely ignored. Not the type of result you would expect from any expert. Luckily, there is plenty of tissue to work with and you should have an excellent appearance when you are revised by an expert in 6 months or more.

Labiaplasty: Clitoral Hood Reduction Secondary Procedure

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs.  Assessing your outcome based on photographs can be challenging without a physical examination.  However, in general, swelling can distort the anatomy, which may take several months to resolve and assess the final outcome.  Based on your photographs, a clitoroplasty and labiaplasty revision may be indicated based on your desired results after the resolution of the swelling.  I am not sure where you traveled to, but clitoral hood reduction is commonly performed in the United States.  Since your surgeon does not believe in a clitoral hood reduction, you want to seek other surgeons' opinions who are experienced in cosmetic genital surgery and even consider traveling to the United States.  Several cosmetic genital surgeons are experienced in caring for international patients.   Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

You will need a revision and Clitoral hood reduction

Thanks for the follow up post with photos. I believe I answered a recent question of yours. I'm sorry about your poor results. You will most certainly want/need a revision at which time you should have your clitoral hood reduced.Please see link below for examples of clitoral hood reduction performed at the time of labia reduction. We see many patients from around the world and offer a travel credit to help absorb some of the additional expenses.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labia revision & lateral prepuce reduction

Thanks for sharing.  Your situation is all to common.  I would suggest that your surgeon talked you out of the prepuce reduction because he/she is not comfortable performing the surgery.   Approximately 60-70% of my patients who get labia minora reduction also get the lateral prepuce ( i.e. clitoral hood reduced).  From your photo I would recommend not only reducing the lateral prepuce ( lateral clitoral hood) and I believe you willalso need a further reduction of the labia minora.  Choose a surgeon who has experience with the clitoral hood and specifically in your case the lateral prepuce as well as revision surgery.  Choose your surgeon based not on location but experience, expertise, reputation and results.
John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills  ~ Dubai
.

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. I would recommend a little time to allow the swelling to go down, see what you can do to help with the area as well. If any pain or discomfort continues, then the best thing is to contact your surgeon's office directly for a live appointment to evaluate your healing. Good luck to you.