What to say to employer? How long off? How long before returning to gym? Tummy Tuck. (photos)

I  am proceeding with the Abdominoplasty I have longed for so long and I was wondering what to say to my employer? I've read people saying they are having a Hernia operation or Bowel surgery but people, friends, co-workers, managers and employers can be inquisitive so just would like to be prepared and have some good reasons/ excuses. How long before you can go back to work following the operation? How long before I can go back to working out, leg press, cardio etc?

Recovery tummy tuck

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

Male Tummy Tuck Recovery

This is what I tell most of my patients: Within a few hours following surgery, abdominoplasty patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position. Strenuous activity and lifting of more than 10 pounds should be avoided for six weeks after surgery. Most patients are able to return to work and daily activities within two weeks of surgery.
It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Your plastic surgeon can tell you specifically how long your recovery will take.

Your surgeon will be the best one to tell you when you can specifically go back to work and when you can exercise. Most patients can return to full activities by 6 to 8 weeks. If you have a desk job that involves no lifting, you may be able to return as early as 2 weeks. Easy walking can be started during the first week. Give your employer as much information as you are comfortable with, but be truthful.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You can fly back in 7 days

Hi. After a Mini Tummy Tuck, you are free to travel back by flight in a week’s time. You can start cardia in 15 days and work out after 30 days.It should approximately cost you 2000 - 2750 GBP. 

Male abdominoplasty

Males have abdominal hernias all the time.    Your best story is that you were having pain from a hernia and you decided to fix it.     Details are no ones business and you just slide past the details.    You may in fact have some weakness in the center of you abdomen which constitutes a hernia.    You will do well with this procedure and be glad you did it. My Best,  Dr Commons

Time off

I think surgery is a personal matter, and you don't necessarily have to go into detail with your employer unless you decide to share private information.  Much depends on the demands of your job.  I do think, though, that you should give your employer an honest expectation as to when you can return and perform your duties.  For office jobs, most can return in 2 weeks.  Even sooner, if motivated to do so.  For jobs that require lifting or manual exertion, that period may be closer to 4--6 weeks.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon