Will my cheeks go down?

I had a face lift 2 months ago my right cheek was so swollen it dragged my mouth down looking like a stroke although it is a lot better I have a twisted smile and look like I hv a square face. Will the swelling go down as I'm worried it won't

Swollen Check After Two Months

Thank you for your question, it would be great to see pictures, without seeing these its hard to know whether there is a concern.  As you have describe, it seems very untypical that the swelling would still remain two months after surgery.  Please consult your own surgeon so they can access your situation, they should be able to advice a solution.

All The Best 

What you describe isn't normal.  The swelling may be causing pressure on the nerves with the result being the distortion in movement.  You should see your surgeon immediately.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Facelift Recovery

What you have described is uncommon.  Follow up with your surgeon so that he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Cheek swelling after facelift

Thank you for the question. Without seeing this in person, it's hard to say exactly what is happening. Is it both sides? Does there seem to be impairment of the muscle movement on the lower side? At two months post-op, some swelling may still be present. But it should be well on its way to resolving. Some heat to the area, in the form of radiofrequency (ThermiSmooth, Pelleve) or ultrasound (Ulthera) may help. But a close examination with your surgeon is essential.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #BOTOX #tmbcosmeticsurgery

Dear BellabnxThank you for your question! Swelling and recovery are variable from person to person. Generally there are rapid changes in the first week to first month.  If there is a fluid or blood collection - this can take longer and in some cases need to be removed.  Ultrasound can help with swelling - your surgeon would have to approve this.With Warm RegardsTrevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Face lift - severe swelling after two months

Thank you for asking about your face lift.
  • I am so sorry this has happened -
  • Without an exam, one can't give you specific advice.
  • I can tell you that swelling continues to improve after a face lift for months and months -
  • Allow at least 6 months to see your final result.
  • I am concerned about your twisted smile - swelling is unlikely to cause this (although it can.)
  • Check with your surgeon too - it often helps to be seen regularly to monitor your progress.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Asymmetry after facelift

No pictures were submitted.  It sounds as though you may have had a hematoma  (bleeding in the pocket).  These slowly resolve but may require a much longer healing time and may need a surgical tightening.  There also may have been nerve involvement or just more swelling on that side.  Work with you surgeon if you have confidence in him/her or seek another opinion.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Facelift - swelling postop - facial nerve

it is difficult to say something without any pictures. Being 2 month out of surgery, most of the swelling will be gone by this time. Involvement of the facial nerve during the surgery may also be the cause of what you are describing. I would suggest to discuss this with your plastic surgeon at your next visit.Best wishes

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon