Breast implants being replaced. Any suggestions?

I've decided to replace my breast implants. They are pip implants and are under the muscle. Is it straight forward having these removed and replaced and is the recovery supposed to be easier second time round?. I plan on keeping with a similar size implant to what I have now which is 290cc and having them under the muscle again. Thanks Kathryn

Generally speaking, the amount of  discomfort a patient experiences will depend mainly on exactly what procedures performed. For example, if the revisionary breast surgery involves a removal/replacement of breast implants, in the same breast implant “pocket”, most patients report much less discomfort associated with the revisionary breast surgery, compared to the initial breast augmentation procedure.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Removing and replacing your breast implants

can be a straight-forward procedure with a short recovery time if your surgeon is purely exchanging implants. However, with time, implants are at risk of rupture and/or capsular contracture (constriction of the breast pocket around the implant) that may require more extensive surgery and longer recovery. Implant warranties are generally about 10 years so you will likely undergo at least one exchange in your lifetime. What I recommend is that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in revision breast augmentation. You may need an ultrasound/mammogram/mri before surgery to make sure your implants are intact and your breasts healthy.

Dan Mills, MD

Implant Replacement

Usually, you can expect your breast augmentation surgery to have long-lasting effects, unless implant deflation requires surgical replacement with a new implant. Nonetheless, the effects of aging and gravity will eventually alter the shape and size and shape of a woman’s breasts over time. As a result, you may later elect to undergo a breast “lifting” to restore the more youthful shape, size, and firmness. So, you should go to a local board-certified surgeon for this consultation and confirm whether a life will be needed as well. Best of luck to you!