Eye bags? Cause? Treatment? (Photo)

I've had prominent eye bags for as long as I remember. Creams and gels don't seem to work. I've tried everything I know of except surgery, although I really don't want to go down that route. Are they due to fat retention or fluid build up? What treatments are there? Thank you for your help.

Lower eyelid concerns

Thanks for your question. Although not your preferred solution, a lower eyelid procedure would give you the results you are looking for. This safe and very common procedure would eliminate the excess fat deposits under your eyes which are typically caused by genetics and the aging process. Eyelid surgery is one of the most common procedures performed because it is safe, effective, there is minimal downtime and a quick recovery. Our procedures are done in office with an incision in the lower lash line or inside the lid, and the fat deposits are removed or repositioned with patients back home in hours to recover. Treating lower eyelids with creams or dermal fillers is not a longterm solution, schedule a consultation with a surgeon who specializes in oculoplastics.

Denver Ophthalmologist

Fillers

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Eye bags at an early age

Dear Lucy,In certain individuals, the membrane that holds back the fat around the eye can be set a bit forward and results in fullness in the lower eyelid region at an early age. Fullness in this area can cause others to perceive us as being tired, sick or sometimes even drunk.This could be address with procedure to remove or transpose fat in this region.Best to seek an Oculoplastic surgeon in your area for assistance.I hope this was helpful.

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I suggest seeing an expert for treatment a combination of lasers, microneedling/PRP and fillers will be helpful.  Best, Dr. Emer

Eye bags? Cause? Treatment?

Thank you for your question.  The dark circles and shadowing are due to excess fat in your lower eyelid compartments.  The definitive treatment would be a lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Eye bags? Cause? Treatment?

The 2 best options for your under eye bags and dark circles is either lower blepharoplasty (transconjunctival with fat repositioning) for the bags or filler injection for the hollowness (dark circles). See an oculoplastic specialist. See video and link below too.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid bags

Lower lid bags can be caused by excess fat, skin, fluid or muscle. When bags happen in younger patients they tend to be hereditary and due to the excess and herniating fat, which appears to be the case based on your photos.  Nonsurgical options such as fillers can camouflage these bags to some degree, but this is just putting a Band-Aid on the problem and not solving the underlying anatomic issue. The best option for this is truly surgical. The good news is, the surgery is minimally invasive, can be performed in the office, and leaves no external scars when the transconjunctival approach is used. To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties. Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Lower lid bags - what to do?

Thank you for asking about your lower lid bags.
  • I am sorry you don't want to hear this but surgery is what you need.
  • You have an inherited condition in which there is too much fat in the lower lid.
  • That is why creams and gels don't work.
  • You need a lower lid 'lift' - usually done through an invisible incision inside the lower lid.
  • It trims the excess fat so the eye bags are gone.
  • It can be done under local anesthesia in the office or under general anesthesia.
  • It is much easier for you if you are asleep but to save money, people often have it done in the office.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS