Help! I need some advice on how to pick my surgeon?

Hi I'm going for a free ten minute consultation for a v lift and implants on Saturday. What questions should I be asking? I've done a bit research on the surgeon I'm meeting with and he's very experienced. I'm terrified of not waking up! Is this normal?

Doesn't Sound Right

A ten minute consultation does not give you time to get adequate education about the possible procedure, including risks, benefits, and alternatives.  Any surgeon promoting named procedures like the 'v lift' is suspect. Who you want as a surgeon is not someone that seems busy, although might be, but someone who is a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that has plenty of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Surgeons like these don't give free ten minute consults which are virtually worthless. 

I think you might be able to save some time (10 minutes) and rule out one surgeon right now. Any surgeon unwilling to spend adequate time with a patient to fully understand their goals, their physical status, and then educate the patient regarding all the alternative methods to help them meet their goals should not be on your "GoTo" list. A consultation of that degree is usually 45 to 60 minutes.  

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  Ten minutes in not enough time for a detailed consultation.  This usually takes 30-45 minutes.   It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift with implants

The procedure you are referring to can be one the most complicated depending the looseness of the skin of the breast, the amount of breast tissue and the position of the nipple. A plastic surgeon can easily spend 30 minutes to an hour discussing options after reviewing your history and performing a physical exam. You should go to your 10 minute consult and then make an appointment with another Plastic Surgeon. I would use the Smart Beauty as a information resource as well as a tool to locate a surgeon in your area. 

Breast augmentation consultations

Hi, I would suggest that you pay for a full consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.  10 minutes is absolutely not enough time.  I generally spend 45-60 minutes with a patient during the initial consultation, during which time I perform an examination, discuss all of the factors associated with surgery, and allow the patient to ask as many questions as she wishes.  The specific questions you should ask will be related not only to your individual case, but also to the experience of the surgeon.  For a full discussion, you will definitely benefit from a regular consultation.  Best wishes.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  I would be hard pressed to choose my surgeon after just 10 minutes.  I usually spend an hour with my patients on their first visit with review of their medical history, and then an examination.  Then based on the examination reviewing the goals of the patient.  The final decision is based on a team approach of the patient's goals, the patient's tissues (this is important factor in predicting final outcome), the technique employed and the implants.  If it is a good fit for the patient and the surgeon, then we proceed.  I can't imagine scratching the surface on any of those issues in just ten minutes much less deciding what type of lift to use without an exam and evaluation.  This is not something that should be rushed.  If your surgeon will only spend ten minutes with you before surgery how much time will they spend with you after surgery?  I would seek a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast surgery.  Be sure to see plenty of before and after photos.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon