18 days post op is this swelling? (Photos)

Please could I have some advice. 18 days post op following full TT with Lipo to flanks and abdomin. Is this swelling or am I going to need more lipo at a later date? There is quite an overhang over the scar. It does feel quite hard above the scar. Thank you in advance.

Post Op Swelling

Thanks for your question! Yes, it appears that you have normal swelling for 3 weeks out. In my experience of doing hundreds of tummy tucks, I find that the swelling peaks between weeks 2 & 4 after surgery, then subsides over the next year. It follows a sigmoid curve. Once you are 8 weeks out & able to workout again, this activity will improve your lymphatic circulation, & your swelling will start to improve. Of course, follow up with our own plastic surgeon for his/her recommendations. Best of luck to you! 

Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Swelling or fat 18dasy post TT

HI vici71,

At this point, it most likely is swelling. You probably need to wait at least 8-12 months before knowing for sure whether you will need a little liposuction . You ought to visit your plastic surgeon and let him/her know your concerns so he/she could follow you along.

Dr. Christine Rodgers

18 days post op is this swelling?

At 18 days, you are still very early in your healing process and you are swollen! Best to give yourself a good 6 months to see your final result (in some cases, it may even take a good year for ALL the swelling to resolve after a TT/lipo). If you still feel you have pockets of extra fat, discuss with your operating surgeon additional liposuction at that point. Good luck!

TT and swelling

Thank you for your question. You are in early phase of healing and it is very common to have swelling at this time and lasts few more weeks. Please follow instructions from your PS.

Normal postop swelling following TT

Thanks for your question and the photos. Congratulations on your surgery. It looks like you will have a great result. The firmness and swelling in completely normal at this point. When the top part of the flap is brought down to meet the lower flap, there are several layers of suture used for closure to reduce tension on the wound. This allows the best chance for a tension free scar and good healing. The healing ridge however can be quite firm. Normally the swelling that you are demonstrating resolves after 2-3 months. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Early tummy tuck result

Thanks for your inquiry.  It is very early in your recovery and you are right there is a lot of swelling still. This swelling can take several months to a year to subside. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, and best of luck.  

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

18 days post op is this swelling?

Thank you very much for posting photos along with your question. Well, 18 days is very early and it is much easier to say with an in person examination, but most of it is swelling. Liposuction to your abdomen and flanks usually produces a lot of swelling. I'm sure it will get much better with time. There is also a little swelling above your navel... this is also very common and will also go down.

Every surgeon has different ways of dealing with post op swelling. I always recommend rest, a tight fitting post-op surgical garment and lymphatic massages. Remember part of the post-op process is pacience and communication with your doctor. Make sure to contact your Plastic Surgeon so he can give you some further orientation. I'm sure you will heal very nicely!

Best of luck with your recovery,

Dr. Miguel Mota

Miguel Mota, MD