I had voluma injections with Silicone Cheek Implants? I now have Sinus problems, is this related to the Voluma?

I have a question and concern. I had Voluma filler in my cheek area the end of May. I didn't think to tell the Nurse that I had Silicone Cheek implants over 20 years ago. My MD said my nasal cavity is inflamed and referred me to a ENT which I see next week. you think this has anything to do with the Voluma into my cheek implants? nurse is very good and the media spa is highly recommended . However, I can't help buy feel I should have told her about my implants. Can you please ease my mind.

Voluma & Sinuses

No, it is highly unlikely that your Voluma is any way impacting your sinuses. I think this is simply a situation of bad timing. Hopefully, your ENT will be able to get to the root of the problem.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Related to Sinus Problems

It is highly unlikely that the Voluma is related to your sinus problems. There is no connection between this filler placement and the sinus cavity. I would agree with your physician that you should be referred to an ENT. Best, Dr. Emer 

Voluma and cheek implants

Thank you for your question jkmorgan. Voluma is an outstanding filler for enhancing the cheekbones. It is important for patients to discuss their medical history including surgical procedures with their doctors before undergoing treatments. Injections into implants may lead to infection and inflammation. It is difficult to assess what is going on without an actual exam. But Voluma is placed on the outer surface of the cheek bone and does not get into the sinuses. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Thank you for your excellent question and I am sorry to hear of your sinus issues.  Though placed just above your bone, Voluma does not connect to your facial sinuses and is not a likely cause of your current problems.  I would recommend following your injector's advice and see an ENT surgeon in consultation.  Best wishes. 

Voluma and Sinus Problems

Thanks for your question!  The Voluma injections are likely unrelated to your sinus problems.  Although Voluma is a deeper injection, it does not communicate with the sinuses.  I agree with your physician's referral to an ENT physician.  In regards to your cheek implants - I would call your nurse injector back and let her know your concerns.  She will likely want to see you back for an evaluation.  Best of luck to you!

It is highly unlikely that the inflammation you have in your nasa cavity has anything to do with the Voluma.  Anatomically there is no direct connection between the two areas as long as there is no history of trauma and injury.  Nonetheless, in the future, you should always let your doctor know that you have had cheek implants.  This must be taken into consideration during the injection in order to minimize the risk of infection of the implants.  

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Silicone Cheek implants, Voluma injections, and sinus problems.

jkmorgan,
To put you at ease, your cheek implant and the volume are separated from your sinuses by a wall of bone. Unless you've had trauma and the bone is broken, there is no reason these external procedures would cause a sinus problem. It is still a good idea to see an ENT doctor for your inflamed nasal cavity.
Your instincts are correct. You should have brought up your silicone cheek implants. More importantly, your injector should have asked. There is potential that the Voluma needle could introduce bacteria to your silicone implant. Infections of implants can get complicated with the potential to need it removed surgically. This is why it is important to seek a consultation with a specialty trained physician. I take a medical history and do a physical examination with all new patients whether it's surgery or an injection. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon