Could my 20 year old (intact) Saline Breast Implants be causing me to have intermittent muscle/joint pain and Fatigue?

Recently I have experienced joint/muscle pain where my total body just aches. ( especially my hands and hips) I've notice it usually came during the week or two before my menstrual cycle. I don't know if this is a hormonal issue or an implant toxic issue. I'm worried. :( Should I have my doctor exchange my 20 year old saline implants for a fresh pair? I am wondering if my hashimotis, joint pain, fatigue and the fact that I was never able to get pregnant is caused from my implants. ?

Concerned about aged saline implants

are unwarranted from what science we know.  If you are convinced that your implants are the problem, you should just have them removed... but it will leave you disfigured from your current status.  Saline implants were filled  variety of ways and if your was done with an 'open' method, removing implants may not be a bad idea with replacement if the saline was completely benign in appearances..  If it was done through a closed system (no exposure to air), its really not the cause of your concerns.

Implants

Your 20 year old implants are probably not causing all the discomfort in your breasts, and certainly did not prevent you from getting pregnant. You have already noticed that your breasts ache prior to your cycle. You might want to discuss all your concerns with your medical doctor. I would suggest letting a board certified plastic surgeon examined you to see if there is any reason, like capsule formation, to exchange your implants. Otherwise, just enjoy them.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is joint pain secondary to saline implants

I can quite confidently say that your implants are not the cause of your problems. You certainly might want to get a new pair of implants but first I would get your medical problems squared away. We have done quite a bit of research and have proven that breast implants, saline or silicone, are not responsible for joint pain, rashes or collagen vascular disease.

Karen Quigley, MD

Breast Implants

Thank you for your question. Despite what is sometimes discussed in the media, there has never been any scientific evidence linking breast implants (saline or silicone) to these purported disease processes. Breast implants are the most studied implant in medicine and there has never been any evidence they are "toxic." I would discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician as they may want to run some basic tests to determine what is occurring. Best, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon