Scar revision and or laser resurfacing (or other skin lightening)? (Photo)

Hello Dr. I had a brow lift done in 2015. i didn't get the full lift i had expressed and am now left with bright scars. can you please revise the scars so they are much thinner and or lighten surrounding complexion to make them less visible? chemical peel did nothing. consulted with the other doctors but the never did a revision like this before and were skeptical (I admire their honesty by the way, they didn't promise great results to get my money like the first doctor). please let me know

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. What type of doctors did you consult, and what type of surgeon performed your procedure? A brow lift should be completed by a board certified facial plastic surgeon. The board certified facial plastic surgeon will discuss post-procedural techniques, including lasers, to minimize the appearance of scarring.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Direct brow lift

You will hear differing opinions on the various types of brow lifts. Your wide scars can be removed and the skin re-closed with subcutaneous support sutures, and non-absorbable skin sutures. You have great eyebrow cilia, and they should cover the incision. There are other factors that can contribute to a wide scar - massaging, rubbing, sleeping in the prone position, dehiscence, medical issues leading to poor healing. With regard to the other techniques - they all have risks! The bicoronal removes scalp and hair, the trichophytic - another long incision - is often visible depending on your hairline and hairdo - and may leave you without scalp sensation. The endoscopic procedure is OK for a few years, but may ultimately fail in time. So don't second guess yourself on having a direct brow lift! Your consultants after the fact are probably concerned about how additional surgery will heal - a legitimate concern. It may take a few calls and consultations, but you should be able to find a surgeon to improve on your incisions. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scar revision and or laser resurfacing?

With due respect to my Dermatologic and Ophthalmic colleagues, this type of "browlift" (excision of skin right above the eyebrows) rather than hidden by the hair (bicoronal) or at least at the hairline (trichophytic), is why you have this horribly visible scar--it should have never been done in the first place, and is commonly recommended by Ophthalmologists and Dermatologists who choose to perform this type of cosmetic surgery. These specialists usually do not have the training or expertise in bicoronal forehead (brow) lifts or trichophytic hairline browlifts. Although too late for you, there are other readers who may be led to think this is a "good" operation. I believe not, and your question is exactly why--there is always a scar front and center above each eyebrow, and it is almost always visible like yours. That's why I also do not recommend scar revision. 

For your scarring, I would recommend only localized dermabrasion or laser resurfacing. Tattooing would be an even more visible mess. Subcision would only create more scars (and scar contracture). Fillers are temporary and costly. You cannot undo the surgery, but improvements can be made. See one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons for definitive advice. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Scar on Face -- fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP, subcision

Facial scarring can improved with subcision, fillers, medical tattooing and laser treatment or surgical removal. I suggest you speak to an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Brow scars

The scars are depressed and lighter. This usually occurs if the wound opened a little while healing.  So best option, especially if you want the brow higher is to redo the surgery.   Hopefully it will heal better and with less change in texture and color.  Non-ablative laser can help with the scar when done 6 weeks after the surgery.  If the color is still of, you can try to tattoo the scar to match the surrounding skin.     

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon