Am I a candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck? (photos)

I am 42 yo and I have 3 children (9, 6 and 1.5) and all 3 were C-sections. I've consulted with a PS and I have an umbilical hernia. Her vision for me is to repair my hernia and my abdominal muscles not a full TT. She feels I wouldn't need a hip-to-hip incision, she can go through my C-section scar with a slight enlargement. She wouldn't really need to remove any skin. I don't have sagging skin, I just look 5 months pregnant! Would this be considered a mini tummy tuck?

Tummy Tuck options

You will need to be examined in person to determine your options and expectations. A full Tummy Tuck will allow for excess skin removal, abdominal muscle repair and often, supplementary liposuction to help contour the abdomen. If your area of concern is only below the belly button, a mini tummy Tuck may be appropriate for you.

I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

All the best

Am I a candidate for a mini tummy tuck?

Hi, purplemoon.  Thanks for your photos. Although direct examination would be better, based on your photos, you would have a better contour from full tummy tuck.  Full tummy tuck allows for muscle to be plicated through the entire length of the muscle.  If you have mini-TT with lower abdominal muscle plication, you may have bulge in the upper abdomen.  Best wishes.

Mini tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photos.  Based on your description of the procedure that has been recommend to you, it would be considered a mini tummy tuck as the full tummy tuck would give you a scar across the abdomen.

Mini Tummy tuck vs. Full Abdominoplasty

Mini- tummy tuck is usually used in patients with skin laxity and diastasis recti limited to only below the belly button. Most patients need a full tummy tuck to correct the muscle weakness/ diastasis recti. There are many different techniques used to correct the umbilical hernia and the time of the abdominoplasty.

Tummy tuck

I would recommend a full tummy tuck based on the fullness/diastasis that you have.  The only way to repair the bulge is through a full tummy tuck.

Am I a candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your pregnancy history, photographs, and stated goals, you will do best with a full tummy tuck operation. In my practice, I would not offer you a mini tuck operation. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Am I a candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck?

It is difficult to say from just your photos but is seems like you have  a separation of the muscles above the navel as well as below, along with the hernia. I think you would not need much skin removed, but the surgeon will need access to the upper diastasis in order to repair it. If only the hernia and the lower distasis is repaired, I fear that your upper abdomen will bulge out more than it does at present. So a full tummy tuck with a relatively short scar

Julio Garcia, MD

Am I a candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck?

Hi... thank you for the question and photos... Evaluating your case.. it is possible that with a Liposuction and a Mini tummy tuck the results would be great... 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

What makes a tummy tuck a mini?

Thank you for your question.  I get this frequently.  What is important is that you and your surgeon have a good discussion regarding your goals and what is needed to achieve those goals.  Some people consider excision of skin only and no work on umbilicus or rectus muscles as a "mini".  There are others who also limit the scar and call it a "mini".  If I repair the rectus and an umbilical  hernia then I would call it what it is.  I would not be too concerned about what it is called but focus on what is being treated.  Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Mini TT procedure?

Hello, a typical mini tummy tuck involves removing some loose skin, but it sounds like this is not required in your case.  From your description it sounds like your surgeon will only need to repair your umbilical hernia and rectus diastasis.