Possible symmastia in the near future? (Photo)

I am post op 9 days and I know its still early but I am concerned that my breasts are so close together that I will develop Symmastia in the near future. Wouldnt my breast become more closer together as they drop and fluff? I did it out of state and only got 1 post op visit the day after surgery. under the muscle. Left implant 300 filled to 300 & right implant 330 filled to 350. Due to fear I press my finger in between my breasts that now my breast bone in the center is sore to the touch.

Symmastia?

Based solely on your photos, I don't see any evidence of symmastia. You can stop worrying. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Probable Good Result

Dear Yesmytab22,

Thought your breasts are close together, they have not joined into the feared “uniboob”. You are very early on in your recovery as well, and so you are likely to have a good result. If you are truly worried about that, your plastic surgeon might recommend a “thong bra” which has a figure-of-eight arrangement that purposely keeps the breasts separated while you are waiting for the capsules to fully form.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Symmastia risk

As you are aware you do not have symmastia at this time. Yes you are early in the post operative period and be watchful as you are. Talk to your doctor about some massage techniques to soften the breast skin envelope that will not stress the inner border this will help  I think you will be in good shape Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Breast Results

You are too early to determine a final result. Keep your scheduled follow up appointments with your surgeon and discuss your concerns. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

At Risk For Symmastia In Future?

It does not appear that you have symmastia at this time, and have little reason to believe you are at risk for it in the future as you have adequate space between your breasts. You should wait at least 3 months and assess then how things are healing. Once healed, the skin will not "lift" away from the breast bone on it's own, and usually takes some sort of trauma to the area.  At only 9 days post-op, there are going to be a lot of things that feel weird, different, sore, swollen, tenderness, etc. in your beasts. It can take 6 months or more for your breasts to take their final shape and size. Right now you're swollen and the implants are high. Try to have patience while things heal up and enjoy the result you have.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia

Thank you for your pictures. Currently do not have symmastia. Your implants should relax a bit.   In my opinion when they do relax  you should not have symmastia. 

Symmastia

It does not look like symmastia according to your pictures but you should consult with your surgeon to be sure. 
Symmastia is a condition which can occur when the implants are too close together. Patients often refer to this as a “uniboob.” This can occur for the same reasons as displacement, but in this case the pocket(s) is/are too far towards the center.
Correction of this problem may involve using different implants such as textured, a smaller size, or a smaller base and placing the implants in a new pocket. On occasion, this may require surgery in more than one stage to allow the tissues to heal and then place the implants. If the implants have been placed above the muscle, converting them under the muscle frequently will help and, again, the use of a dermal substitute may be required for additional support if the tissues are thin. The techniques of capsulorrhaphy and neopectoral pockets may apply here as well.

Symmastia?

you are not demonstrating symmastia, which is when the breasts pockets are literally connected; the skin and soft tissue on your breast bone very strong and will not peel off and allow the two pockets to join. So don't worry about this concern; also as you age, your breasts are going to lateralize and move away from each other. If you are wanting some constructive criticism, I would suggest that from you photos, it seems that your nipples are too low and your breasts would look better if the nipple and areola were centered on your breast mound; I would consider a breast lift. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Possible symmastia in the near future

Your photos do not show any evidence of symmastia. You have plenty of space between your breasts, and the distance will not change as they "drop & fluff".  Relax and enjoy your breasts!  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I am concerned about synmastia

Based on the submitted photos it does not appear that you have synmastia but oftentimes a physical exam is needed. Going under the muscle greatly reduces this risk but does not eliminate it. I would follow up with your surgeon or try to find one local to you. Good luck!