Is this a hypertrophic scar or a keloid? What is the best treatment option for this? (Photo)

I got injured before 8 months and since then it has been there. It is embarrassing.. which treatment plan is best for me? It is confined to the original wound area.. i got 2 steroid injections since 2 months and my dermat told me that i will need 4 more maybe.. will it really help? And does silicone sheets really help to reduce the reddish appearance? I am thinking to try that if that can help.. thanks in advance.

Doctor Answers 1

Hypertrophic Scarring -- Requires combination with pulsed dye laser/VBEAM, 5fu/steroid injections, fractional laser (Fraxel)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This requires a series of treatments to give improvement including: pulsed dye laser, VBEAM, 5fu/steroid injections, fractional laser (Fraxel). I suggest a formal consultation with a laser and scarring expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.