Should I replace my implants? (photos)

I replace my 20+ Year old saline implants 6 months ago with 275cc gummy bear Mentor implants. I did have issues with the healing process along the incision. However, I hate the way they Look. I feel like everything is wrong with these implants. My breast have always look even but look at them now. I don't think is gonna get better. I'm thinking of replacing them. Any suggestions or commons. I'm thinking I may need to look for another surgeon. I did use a board certified surgeon.

I changed my implants from saline to Mentor Gummy Bear and I hate the shape ever since. Please help.

You need to be examined carefully to give you the proper recommendation. The implants themselves are less important. All implants can produce great results. What is important is the judgment to choose the right implant for the patient's anatomic requirement. I would need to know what is bothering you most. The pictures show that your left implant is displaced too high. If this is what bothers you the most that can be remedied by lowering that implant position. If you are not happy with your cleavage, you might require larger implants that come more towards the middle of your chest. A proper evaluation is the key to your success.

Redo breasts augmentation

Dear Sunsetdia,

Thanks for submitting your pictures and sorry for your disappointment with you redo breasts augmentation. From observing your pictures, you appear to be small C cup size with wide cleavage and left breasts severe capsule contracture.

I agree with you intention to redo your breasts augmentation, however, due to your frustrating outcome, you will have to do your due diligence very carefully and select your surgeon wisely, so you will end up with nice result and avoid another corrective surgery.

You mentioned that your plastic surgeon is board certified. That is very important, but how much experience does the surgeon have ? Did you check his or her's before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical  and natural looking ?

You ask for suggestion and comments. Well, if you were my patient, here is what I would have suggested to you:

1. Return to saline implants, which I used almost  exclusively for over 29 years on thousands of patients.

2. Convert to sub muscular pocket if your implants are currently sub glandular.

3. Right breast capsulotomy (scar release) , in order to create nice and natural looking cleavage.

4. Left breast capsulotomy , in order to create symmetrical and natural looking breast with nice cleavage, symmetrical fold and natural upper slope. However, if the capsule contracture is severe due to 'Biofilm' (bacteria embedded in the capsule and on the implant) , capsulectomy (scar excision) and implant replacement is necessary in order to reduce the likelihood of capsule contracture recurrence.

5. Sub areola entry incision which allows for creation of nice cleavage and sub mammary fold under direct vision and feel, while sub mammary incision is too far from the cleavage and too close to the fold, to allow nice and consistent outcome.

6. Post operative implants displacement massage to reduce the chance of capsule contracture , help the implants to settle and create a natural look and feel of your breasts.

I hope this is helpful to you,

Dr Widder

Breast implant exchange

Thank you for your question and posting appropriate pictures. I am sorry you're having trouble after your last surgery. You would need to have a consultation, however, in general I prefer using textured silicone implants for an implant exchange from saline implants. They likely are not going to improve at this time. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Revision

Thank you for your question and pictures. After 6 months, your breasts are still healing, but your results are mostly complete. If you are unhappy with your results, you should definitely consider a revision. Speak to your plastic surgeon and express your concerns. Getting a second opinion is always helpful in making an informed decision. Make sure you tell the new plastic surgeon about your original implants and what concerns you had that led to this recent surgery. 

Not happy with gummy bear implants after having saline ones

Thank you for asking about your gummy bear implants.

• I agree that in the photos at least, these implants are not very flattering.
  • What does your surgeon say?
  • How comfortable with her/him are you?
  • If s/he is not supportive and willing to work with you to get things right. look for another surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Should I replace my implants?

good question, if unhappy with current breast I would seek a second opinion, re visionary breast surgery is very difficult and important to spend enough time to connect with your surgeon to make sure everyone is on the same page, good luck in your journey!!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Changing implants

Unless there is a problem, I don't routinely change implants. I have many patients out there who still have saline with no problems. Obviously if they deflate, I change them. I usually use smooth round. I do not like the gummy bear as I think they are too firm and if they shift, they can give you deformed breasts. If you are unhappy, perhaps you should seek a second opinion. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast asymmetry

Thanks for your question and the photos.  

It would be nice to see the pre op ones to assess the symmetry.  I see that there is significant asymmetry.  If your surgeon is not willing to assess this or you feel uncomfortable, you should seek out another board certified surgeon for a second opinion.

Best of luck.

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Implant issue

It is always good to compare the preop photos as well.  Many times there are asymmetries that you might not notice. Also an in office evaluation is best.  Good luck.

Gummy bear breast implants

hello and thank you for the picture and the question. At this point, it appears that the implants are sitting unevenly. The left side in the pic is higher. That is why they look different. Because it is a tear drop implant, the shape should look more natural, but is more tricky getting exactly even placement. 

Sometimes with healing it will adjust into a lower position, but with the textured implants, it is not likely to occur. 

You describe issues with healing? was there bleeding or bruising or any need for early surgical intervention on that side? 

I suspect you will need to have it adjusted. One option is to switch to a standard round implant. Less worry, fewer issues with placement. If the left implant is firm or feels hard, there may be an issue with a capsular contracture. that would require a more aggressive approach to removing the inflammed scar tissue capsule.  

I would be frank and discuss this with your plastic surgeon. We have all faced issues of some sort and have the experience to deal with / correct this. 

You should prepare for about 1 week off of work to recover, and about a month out of the gym. 

As always best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health concerns you have are being managed by your primary care physician.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon