What and how do I prepare for Breast augmentation surgery?

I will be having my breast augmentation surgery in a few months from now and would be traveling far for it. How do I prepare for it and what are the things I must get before and after the surgery?

Where are you going?

It really depends on where you'll be traveling for surgery and how long you'll be there. If you're traveling internationally, there are several steps you'll need to make in terms of paperwork and travel arrangements. Your surgeon should provide you with complete instructions to help you prepare for traveling and for the surgery itself. I recommend contacting the surgeon's office for more information. It is important to understand that seeking surgery far from home may result in complexity in your recovery should unexpected complications or revisionary surgeries be required, and may necessitate additional travel and expense. 

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Pre-Op Breast Augmentation

Every surgeon has different rules and regulations.I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Pre-op instructions

I have attached a link to the Pre-Op instructions that I give all my patients before surgery so they can prepare. Good luck with your surgery!

Medical tourism and breast augmentation surgery.

You have gotten much good advice from the responses to your question but an important issue for you to consider carefully is the availability and proximity of your treating surgeon if you return home from a far distance and have questions or complications.  My advice to some is to delay surgery instead of traveling long distances and not having adequate support in the healing period.  You should also have careful and clear instructions to prepare you in the preoperative period including avoidance of blood thinners, alcohol and tobacco use prior to your procedure.
Best of luck.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Surgery preparation

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend meeting with your surgeon in person and discussing preparation in detail.  Every surgeon has specific instructions.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breasts augmentation preparation

Dear Wandes,     You did not provide information about yourself, however, assuming that you are young and healthy with no medical preconditions, here are the routine preparations for breasts augmentation surgery, in my practice:    1. Diet sheet that includes foods, supplement and medication to avoid, because they can cause bleeding and interfere with anesthesia. This is followed for 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after. 2. Avoid smoking for at least 2 weeks before and after surgery. Coughing can increase pain and possibly cause bleeding. Also, the reduction in circulation (due to arterial spasm) can allow for infection to set in. 3. Oral antibiotic,  the night before surgery and the morning of surgery . 4. Wear shirt that buttons up instead of pull over, for comfort and pain reduction when taking shirt off. 5. No bra for 1 month during day time , in order to allow the implants to settle down by gravity and avoid upward contraction of the fold. 6. Wear bra at bed time for 1 month, to prevent the  lateral displacement of the implants. 7. Implants displacement massage , starting on 3rd day after surgery for 1 year, to reduce possible capsule contracture and allow the implants to settle faster.    Obviously,  surgeons differs in their instruction, so make sure to contact your surgeon's office and obtain their pre and post operative instructions.                                         Best of luck,                                                              Dr Widder   

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.The person you really need to be asking this to is your surgeon. Every doctor has different pre and post operative protocols for their patients. I would make sure you have your housing accommodations arrange for your stay while you are there, if you have a sitter or need to bring someone with you to supervise you the first 24 hours and help assist you while you recover. Ask your doctor what supplements/medications you should stop taking before surgery, most important are anything with blood thinning agents in it and remain nicotine free for at least 30 days prior to surgery and after surgery. I would also find out if you have to order a surgical bra or will they provide one for you.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Need to check with your plastic surgeon

Dear Wandes,
Each surgeon has his/her particular set of instructions to prepare for breast augmentation surgery.  For us to give you our recommendations would be undermining the practices and procedures of your surgeon.  Please check with him/her for their specific instructions.  Good luck!

Breast augmentation surgery

hello. Good luck with your plan. Make sure you know what size you are looking for and type of implant and location. All of those are of primary importance in knowing the final results.

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Medical Tourism

It is your doctor's duty to tell you how to prepare for surgery . This is why it is best to get a doctor who is near where  you live so if you have questions or problems you can easily go back there. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD