Hump Removal surgery. (photos)

I am looking to have rhinoplasty to have Minor dorsal hump removed. I am male and concern in result in a feminine curved nose. Questions: During hump removal is it filed or chiseled ? If chisel I imagine it can easily result the first chisel point if too deep & that resulting in too much bone taken out so u curve? Probably dorsal hump removal is complex and instrument used does not allow easy control correct? Is possible prevent curved nose? How can fix my dorsal? From picture worth to do?

Rhinoplasty can give a nice result

A highly experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to keep the nose looking like a male, avoiding the curved female appearance. I file down our bumps because it gives a fine control of the result. If your dorsal hump bothers you then it is worthwhile to seek out a couple consultations from rhinoplasty specialists to determine if it is right for you.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your problem is straight forward!

Your bump, hump, curve or whatever you call it seems too much for your face.  The method of removal, chisel, rasping, scissoring should not be your concern...your surgeon will do what he or she feels most comfortable with.....and your problem looks pretty routine so should be no problem.....good luck  Dr. Loeb

Thomas W. Loeb, MD

Dorsal hump in men

in men a stronger profile is preferred. Unless a profile is very tall, a rasp or file is usually used. A chisel is best for very large noses and is more precise than a rasp. The cartilage is removed with a knife or scissor. In your case, as with other males, a radix graft is an option to fill the upper bridge and have a more conservative profile reduction. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi Steven, It's definitely possible to have your hump taken down carefully without too much. In fact it's important in the male rhinoplasty to always maintain a strong straight profile, as opposed to more curved, scooped look. And looking at your photos, it looks like you'd be a good candidate. You can use computer imaging to project a goal for surgery so that both you and your surgeon are on the same page for the final result. Good luck!!!

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal hump

In  my practice, the bony portion of the hump is best removed with a rasp. There is great control with a rasp. The cartilaginous portion is taken down with a scalpel blade (much like a razor blade.If an osteotomy is done then the bony area is very lightly rasped  again and the cartilaginous dorsum is trimmed under direct vision, as needed.Making a curved dorsum is an effort. Its a lot easier to make a straight dorsum. If the surgeon is truly skilled, you should have no worry about a feminized nose.In addition to a curved dorsum, a nasolabial angle. somewhat more than 90 degrees, can resemble an upturned, short,  feminine nose too.Communication with your surgeon is important.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Your nose

As a skilled rhinoplastic surgeon, I will be glad to see you and discuss what y ou want. Male noses are harder than female noses as we want an aesthetic result, but a strong profile. It can be done. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

I think that most will shave down the nasal bone and trim the dorsal cartilagenous septum with scissors or a knife.  Best of luck.  

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a  conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us. In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features. Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Only you can be the judge of whether to proceed with the cosmetic enhancement of reducing your dorsal bump.  From the pictures you have provided, you certainly have dorsal bump that can be brought down.  Rasping or using an osteotome are both ways to reduce the bony portion of a hump but there is also usually a cartilagenous portion that needs to be reduced.  If you are interested in getting some questions answered and looking at imaging of a possible post operative result, I highly recommend a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 
All the best!

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon