I'm 5'8" and weigh 220 pounds, I plan on having my surgery in the next 2-3 weeks which is a mommy makeover (Photo)

Is it safe to do a TT, breast lift w/augmentation, lipo of arms,waist, flanks,full back and a BBL all at the same time being that I weigh 220 pounds? I plan on losing more and I wanted to add lipo of the calves to my procedures but only if lipo to the calves is safe

This is way too much surgery to do all at once.  Are you going to the DR for this?  I think you need to consider if doing this cheaper and in one stage is worth the significantly increased risk of serious complications.

Stable Weight is Advisable for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Way too much

You need to lose weight before having any procedures especially removing fat. Losing weight will reduce the fat volume and you might not need liposuction in most of these areas. You ll get a better result and more importantly be safer!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Safety first

This is a question for your chosen surgeon as he or she has been able to see you in person and knows your health history. Best wishes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Lose weight to your more ideal number

You need to lose weight first and then consider surgery.  Some of your proposed surgery will then be unnecessary.   Having surgery and then losing weight makes no sense.  You may even detract from some of your surgery.   Do things the RIGHT way.  Lose weight and then consider surgery.   And yes the extent of your proposed surgery is very questionable.  Safe surgery depends of a safe patient.  You weight makes your surgery more risky.   Safety depends also on a safe surgeon, a safe facility,   and safe aftercare.   If you do go ahead  now (unwise) definitely stage your surgery and certainly forget about calves and ankles.  My Best, Dr C

Multiple procedures

Be careful with the amount of surgery you do at the same time. Patients ask for multiple surgeries to be done at the same time and I evaluate their medical health and what procedures are they considering. Its always better to stage some procedures.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

The safe number of operations that can be done at the time of a mommy makeover.

You indeed have a large number of operations schedule. If you are healthy and the surgeon operates efficiently this should not be a problem provided you are in good health. In my practice you would be kept overnight after the operation for observation.

I'm 5'8" and weigh 220 pounds, I plan on having my surgery in the next 2-3 weeks which is a mommy makeover

Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures. In general, a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 30 or less is considered ideal but this is not a hard and fast rule.

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children and get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Having said all of that,most ethical well trained plastic surgeons would feel that the combination you are asking about is excessive and has significant risks factors if performed in one stage.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of
Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

How much is too much Plastic Surgery?

Dear Pepa,

This much.  Patients come to me almost daily requesting the amounts of surgery that you are suggesting for yourself.  It is risky and your results might be compromised.  I usually suggest staging the surgeries to minimize the risks.  Good luck!

It is my pleasure to answer your question. You are a candidate for liposuction, bbl, tummy tuck and breast lift. I recommend you all procedures only if you are in a good general health conditions.

Aramis Vega, MD