Breast augmentation surgery was on aug 22; its sep 7 now. Do I have to keep wearing the breast augmentation belt over my breast?

Do i have to keep wearig the breast augmentation belt over my breast? I heard i have to put it on tight . But it hurts ....

#breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery #breastimplants

Hi bell6985,Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your breast augmentation surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our breast surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation belt

You should wear the belt as long as your plastic surgeon deems it necessary.  Of course, ask your plastic surgeon to explain the reasons for this, but it is likely that he is seeking to modify the position of the implant within the pocket.  Since implant position is most responsive to this type of treatment in the first six weeks after your operation, you should not discontinue this prematurely.

Ditch the belt

After breast augmentation I find no particular advantage to the use of surgical bras. In fact, I find that they can do more harm than good. They hold the implants too high, preventing them from dropping into position. In addition, they can put pressure on the healing breast or the wound. They provide no advantage. If the surgery was performed correctly, external appliances after surgery are unnecessary to achieve the appropriate final implant position. At one month we allow the patients to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire.  At two months, they can wear any bra with a wire without push up.  Before three months it is not wise to buy a whole new set of bras.  By six months, the bra size is not going to change.  You need to try bras on.  Being measured is almost never productive and almost always oversizes.  Find the ones that you like the way they fit.

Hurting using Breast wrap

I have some patients use a Breast strap (belt) when I am trying to encourage the implants to settle and the muscles to relax.  If you are having a lot of discomfort, I would recommend you visit with your physician to make sure you have your Breast belt on properly.  Hope you feel better soon.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Early post op

thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Post op

I don't have people do that , but all surgeons are different. you paid your surgeon; trust what he/she says

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Bandeau

I do not routinely have patients wear a bandeau to push their implants down. You should ask your surgeon.

Breast belt

Thanks for reaching out.  The breast belt is usually used if your implants are riding high.  It is hard to tell if you need it without seeing your position.  Speak on your surgeon for accurate instructions.
I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Belt

Have you asked your surgeon ? It is hard to know what was done and details about your operation. You should have been given clear post op instructions to explain requirements after surgery. Photos would help

Breast Strap

It is best to contact your surgeons office regarding the "Belt".  The straps are usually placed to compress the pectoral muscles and push the implants down after a sub pectoral or dual plane augmentation.  If your implants were sitting higher than usual they may have asked you to continue use of the strap.  If your implants are in a good position it isn't an unreasonable request to ask to loosen or discontinue the strap.