What does it mean after BA and Yellowish Liquidity Discharge after BA (photos)

2 weeks after BA, yellowish liquidity discharge from pinhole left breast incision. No fever, some swelling, soreness, redness and pain. I made an appt. with PS. He prescribed antibotics.and squeeze the breast where more liquid came out. Afterward the pain cease, no fever, no soreness, slight redness, It stopped for 3 days then it began discharging however, slight drainiage and no symptoms. I use wound cleaner and cover with gauze. I19 days now, pinhole present. Will I need more time to heal

Possible infection

Thank you for your question. The pinhole and drainage is definitely concerning. I recommend seeing your plastic surgeon for a follow up as soon as possible. He\she may want to explore the wound and reclose you. I would probably error on the side of being aggressive with treatment, as this may lead to loss of implant. Best of luck with your recovery. 

Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Yellowish Discharge after Breast Augmentation

From the photographs, it appears that you have a fairly deep open area in the centre of your incision.  This is definitely concerning and should be addressed with your surgeon.

The yellowish drainage could be a number of things.  The best-case scenario would be that this is a small amount of drainage coming from a small stitch abscess, where the stitch is trying to spit out.  Unfortunately, however, this appears to go deeper than that.  If the fluid is coming from deeper, then the three options that would give you yellowish discharge are a seroma (which is a normal fluid that your body uses for lubrication and likes to accumulate in spaces within the body, such as in the pocket of an implant), fat necrosis (which occurs when some of the fatty tissue in the breast does not have enough blood supply to survive and therefore dies and liquefies) or, worst-case scenario, pus.  If there is pus around an implant, then the implant needs to be removed, along with washing out the pocket and the wound needs to heal before replacing the implant.  Realistically waiting several months would be the safest option in the setting of an infection around the implant. 

Drainage after breast augmentation

Sunset,

Thanks for the question and for including photos.  I hate to say it, but there is definitely a problem.  The size of the problem has yet to be determined.

Drainage FOUR months postoperatively is NOT acceptable.  It could be minor as in a local wound infection or seroma.  The worst case scenerio is that it effects the implant which would require removal, antibiotic treatment then replacement at a later date.  At the bery least, the area should be cleaned, then the fluid cultured.  

Please follow up with your implanting Plastic surgeon for their evaluation.

Hope it is just a minor issue.  Best of luck.

Dr. Taarnow

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Complication After Breast Augmentation

Unfortunately, it looks and sounds as if you may may need the implant removed for the situation to completely resolve. After one month, you could have another implant placed. Please see your plastic surgeon or seek a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best Wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Fluid discharge after Breast Aug

Thanks for reaching out. Your story and photos are very concerning. Keep in very close contact with your surgeon.  It could just be a seroma or fat necrosis, but the worst of it would be an implant infection. If that is the case your implant would need to be removed.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Fluid discharge

Fluid discharge can be several different things. If it is superficial perhaps it will heal with local wound care. If it is tracking to the implant then there is concern that the implant might get infected. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Hole in breast?

From your photographs, and story, it seems a little bit early to develop that deep of a spitting stitch. The yellow discharge may represent a fluid collection around the implant. I recommend you follow up with your chosen plastic surgeon who may want to do an ultrasound exam to look for fluid. Good luck with your recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Drainage

I would suggest letting your doctor keep a close eye on your wound. A small amount of drainage could be from a suture. As it heals, the drainage will stop. However, fluid leaking from inside around the implant is a potentially a more worrisome matter. This drainage will take longer to stop and carries the risk of infecting the implant.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon