3 weeks ago was my last Voluma injection. Yesterday it all disappeared; what happened?

I've gotten several voluma injections and loved them. Yesterday the voluma had disappeared. The last injection was three weeks ago.I also noticed that my mouth hung down and within a half hour the mouth was pretty much back to normal. The voluma, however was missing. What happened?

Voluma results

It's strange that your results would only last 3 weeks. In general, Voluma last for about 2 years so I think my best advice would be for you to be assessed in person by your surgeon. It could be that now that the swelling has subsided, you are not as happy with your results and maybe need a touch more. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma

Thank you for your question Nadine. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Voluma is a filler used to enhance the appearance of the face. With any filler there is swelling that occurs for up to two weeks. Often times this appears desirable. The final result is seen approximately two weeks after the treatment once the swelling has subsided. We have patients return at this time to take after photographs and assess the results. At that time more filler can be added if desired. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Voluma disappeared after 3 weeks?

Thank you for your very important question. Voluma typically lasts for up to two years. It is uncommon that you only noticed results for three weeks. I recommend you follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an assessment.

Voluma injections not lasting...

I am sorry for your disappointment!  I agree with advice below, that you should be seen for an in-office consult as soon as you can get in with the doctor who performed these injections, so that this can be documented and assessed.

In some cases, people who lead lifestyles of high intensity workouts tend to metabolize fillers at a higher rate the less active individual.  This can require more injections than other patients.  Make sure you bring this up your concerns at your next appointment.  

Warm Regards,
Dr. Kristin Tarbet, MD FACS 

Voluma and Results

I am so sorry for your experience but this is very unusual.  I would return to your treating physician for examination. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Final Result After Voluma

Thank you for your question and sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  The final result after Voluma injection is typically seen 2 weeks postprocedure.  Sometimes it can take up to a month for things to fully settle.  Results typically last for up to 2 years.  What you are describing is very unusual.  I would advise you to contact your doctor for an in-person examination in order to fully evaluate your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!