Left drain came out during the night. (photos)

I had a tummy tuck and lipo on my flanks on 10/5/16. My left drain came out during the night. Yesterday I had 85cc of fluid come out. That amount is from the left only. I hope this doesn't prolong my recovery. I also think my flanks(especially left side) seem really puffy, soft to the touch like more skin needs removed. Or are they possibly just still swollen. I sure hope that whatever is causing them to look like this will remedy itself. Not sure that parts of my incision look okay either

What is a drain comes out?

If a drain tube is pulled out by accident, do not try to put it back in.  It now considered unsterile.  Wash the site with antibacterial soap and put a dressing over it to stop any leakage.  Call your surgeon first thing and let them know.  Depending on how the long the drain has been in will determine if the surgeon will have to replace it with another.

Troy Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Concerns

Thank you for the question and photos. You should let your Plastic Surgeon know about your drain so that they can decide how to proceed. You most definitely have swelling at this point so it isn't possible to evaluate results yet but wound care/incision concerns should be examined in person by your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.
Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.
Dr. Schwartz
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Drain Positioning After Tummy Tuck

I do not use drains any more with this procedure and have switched from pain pumps to Exparel which is a long acting injectable pain medicine like Lidocaine or Marcaine but lasts for three days. This is injected all along the muscle and skin to provide pain relief. This is termed the Pain-less, Drainless Tummy Tuck.

If you go to a doctor who uses #drains, they usually stay in 3-5 days but may be required to remain in longer. Therefore, if you find yourself concerned at all about the placement of your drain then it is best to visit your surgeon right away to have the area examined and make sure whether it needs to be re-inserted or if the healing process is moving along well. Goo luck!

Worried about tummy tuck 2 weeks after surgery

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

For now the important issue is your healing and your drain. Contact your surgeon without delay and explain the problem. A new drain may need to be replaced if fluid is collecting. You will need to wait and heal before assessing your final result. Hope all goes well.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Drain out

While it is too early to consider revisions, let your PS know that your drain is out and establish a follow up plan.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Talk to your Doctor

We do understand your feelings, and maybe you should be a little scared. Dont worry too much. Sometimes this happens with no consequences. At this so early post op you need to inform your Doctor, follow instructions. He is your best help. Maybe just adjusting more your faja or garment should be the answer.

Good Luck

Dr Hernandez Pizzoglio