I had Juvederm injected in my nasolabial folds and the lines around my mouth, but still have the lines. Why has this happened?

Filler results?

Impossible to tell without an exam or good photos.Most commonly if you didn't receive the result expected the lines may need more product injected.Remember fillers are great for improvement but is not a magic eraser and some lines will persist.Finally some lines are so deep that fillers can't fully get the job done alone and then maybe facelift time

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Filler Results and Longevity

Often more filler is needed to get to optimal correction than is placed, usually for financial reasons or for a conservative approach.  I suggest more filler or one that is longer lasting such as sculptra, bellafill, radiesse or fat injections.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lines Persist After Juviderm

Thank you for your interesting question. I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your results following Juviderm injection. You mentioned that you had the Juviderm injected in your nasolabial folds and the lines around your mouth. Posting a photograph would have been helpful. I am assuming that you only had a single syringe of Juviderm injected into these areas. The most likely cause of your facial lines persisting is that not enough filler product was used. Additional Juviderm or other filler products can effectively be used to fill in these line and restore the missing volume to your face. I feel that you have every chance of getting a great result. I recommend that you return to the doctor who injected you and express your concerns. Most likely the doctor will have a solution for you. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Fillers and lines

Thank you for your question.  Remember fillers are designed to restore volume and soften facial features like lines, no matter how much product you add you are unlikely to completely blunt all lines.  That being said if you are unhappy please return to your physician for proper evaluation and management.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

I had Juvederm injected in my nasolabial folds and the lines around my mouth, but still have the lines

It is totally normal to have a nasolabial fold. Fillers are helpful to soften the appearance of the fold but it will never be eliminated especially when smiling. I can't give specific advice without seeing photos but typically when patients are unsatisfied with the results of filler treatment they can benefit from additional product. In other words, you were likely undertreated. Please discuss with your injector to determine if additional filler would improve your results. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

More is not always better

I am sorry that you are having concerns about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

The purpose of fillers is to soften the lines. Sometimes injecting more is not always better. The nasolabial grooves are the result of empty cheeks. Either a liquid face lift or a facelift may be considered. Obviously, physical exam is granted to get a better idea.

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Filler around mouth and nasolabial folds

Fillers in the nasolabial folds don to completely efface the folds. They usually soften them. Your goal should not be to have these completely flat because that does not look normal.

Juvederm

Without photos or an in person exam, it's impossible to say. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss. It may be that Juvederm is not the ideal filler for you. Sorry that you are experiencing this. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Post Juvederm Injections Without Improvement

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Without seeing you it is not possible to know what the problem is. Perhaps you need more filler injected or a different product. Make an appointment with an experienced injector for in depth evaluation and discussion of treatment options. Good luck.

Fillers aren't gong to correct all problems 100%

There are many reasons why you might not have achieved the results you desired: too little product used, injection technique or more than likely he need for other procedures to achieve the best result.  Often lasers or thinner fillers need to be used to treat etched, superficial wrinkles, and to improve the nasolabial folds you often need the cheeks treated.  Deflation of the cheeks is what often causes the nasolabial folds to deepen.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon