My lips are very uneven. What can I do to fix them? (Photo)

For some reason the left side and right side of my lips are different sizes they haven't allways been this way and I was wondering how could I fix them

My lips are very uneven. What can I do to fix them?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your lips are a bit smaller on the left side.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler for added volume to the left side off the lips or to increase overall fullness.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Uneven lips

Thank you for your question. From the photo provided you show some lip asymmetry which can be easily corrected with the use of dermal fillers such as Juvederm or Volbella. Each of these dermal fillers add subtle volume to the lips and last up to one year.  I encourage you to seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss these options in more detail with an in office evalutation. Good luck!  

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Using Fillers To Improve Lip Asymmetry

Fillers would be a very simple and great option/solution for you! Filler treatments for the lips are a very popular office procedure at our center. I often use fillers like Restylane or Juvederm to correct any asymmetries as well as enhancing the key areas of the lips to add just the right curves, contours and definitons to make the lips more shapely and attractive overall – not just “bigger”. 

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Improving lip asymmetry with HA fillers

This can usually be improved with HA fillers. Adding more filler to the smaller side will almost always correct that. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. I see your subtle asymmetry in lip volume and shape and an improvement can be obtained through the use of dermal fillers. I would recommend a thin hyaluronic acid based dermal filler, such as Volbella.  Hope this helps.

Lip asymmetry

All lips are a bit different. Fillers may better balance them, but the two  will never be exactly the same.

My Lips Are Very Uneven. What Can I Do To Fix Them?

Thank you for your excellent question and for sharing your photograph.  Based on your photo, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a conservative lip augmentation for symmetry with a small amount of a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler such as Juvederm.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Slight lip asymmetry may be normal.

Your lower right lip appears slightly larger than your left. And your right upper lip appears smaller than your left. These minor asymmetries do not appear unattractive, but if you want to restore symmetry, you may wish to consider microdroplet Silikon-1000 injections - an off-label filler for permanent results. Hope this helps you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for uneven lips

Your concern is quite a common one. Although a lot of people exhibit asymmetry in their faces, the lips should be as symmetrical as possible. A common quote is the two sides of the face may be sisters, but the two sides of the lips should be identical twins!

This should be fairly easy to achieve with a hyaluronic acid based filler. As with all face procedure, do your research and make sure you see someone who has good technical skill and an eye for fine detail.

Good luck!

Creating more symmetric lips

Hello Juleina100!

Are you stating you had an injection done that created this, or are your lips becoming asymmetric naturally? 

Often times, by receiving a lip injection with dermal fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, and Vobella, can not only create fuller, more shapely lips, but also to can help correct with natural lip asymmetries. If your lips are uneven due to a recent lips augmentation, how long ago did you have it done? 

Creating absolutely perfect symmetrical lips isn't always easy with just one visit. Due to swelling, it is sometimes hard to predict exactly how everything will settle. A little tweaking of the injection can be necessary to fill in one side or to help with final touches for an overall look. I like to have my patients come back in about a week so we can determine together if any small touch up is necessary and to get their feedback. Regardless, there is a solution, whether adding a bit more product, or using something to help dissolve it,  can be performed if the asymmetry is bothering you too much.  

Arash Moradzadeh, MD