I had a Breast Reduction in August, I get these very sharp pains to my nipples that really hurt. What can I do?

I hear people use ice why? I take Tylenol and Aleve for pain relief, it doesn't always help, I can't hug anyone it hurts to much.

I am sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing.  Careful physical examination will allow your plastic surgeon to help you with diagnosis and advice.  Sometimes, these types of "shooting pains" resolve with time as inflammation completely subsides.  On the other hand, if the pain is related to a specific scar, a neuroma may be present; if this is the case, excision may be helpful.  Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be happy with longer-term.

Painful nipples after breast reduction

Thank you for your question.I am sorry to hear you are having discomfort.  Many women do have hypersensitivity of the nipples following breast reduction and is typically related to sensory nerve irritation.  You are still quite early in the recovery process after your breast reduction in August.  Full healing will take 9-12 months as the scars mature.  While I realize this doesn't help your discomfort now, rest assured it should not be a permanent issue.  I always advise patients to take Tylenol and NSAIDs such as Aleve or Ibuprofen after the initial acute post surgical pain.  I would check with your surgeon before putting anything topically including ice but there might be options such as topical lidocaine, or padding over the areola to minimize what should be a transient discomfort.
Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Breast Reduction

Hello and thank you for your question. An examination is the best way to determine what may be happening. What you may be experiencing may be nerve irritation. An evaluation with your surgeon is the best way to determine what may be happening. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician