Neck lift two months ago. Swelling has developed under right jaw. Advice? (Photo)

I had neck lift - lower face lift August 2014. A swelling has developed under right jaw area. It is not hard. Advice please.

Swelling under the side of jaw noticed after facelift.

Excellent question. Any time that swelling or pain develops after any type of procedure, it is very important that the patient bring this concern promptly to the attention of the surgeon.  From your photo, I see a fullness in the location of the "submandibular salivary gland (SMG)". This gland is tucked up under the margin of the mandible when we are younger and it descends to various extents in many of us as we get older. From this photo, I can not determine if it is simply a normal descended gland, or if it is an enlarged gland, or if this fullness represents something other than the SMG.  It would be useful to see and feel what the other side looks and feels like.  It is not uncommon for a facelift procedure to "uncover" a longstanding decended SMG that was not as noticeable prior to the surgery because it was covered by jowls and neck fullness. Your facial plastic surgeon should be able to get to the bottom of your concern during the exam and subsequent discussion.  I hope this is helpful.

Neck Lift--What Is This Swelling?

See your surgeon promptly. While swelling is expected after a facelift, such a well defined area under the jawline could be a fluid collection and should be evaluated by your surgeon.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Necklift

It is best that you follow up with your surgeon or his clinical team to accurately determine next steps for you.  Best regards.

Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw swelling after neck lift

Please see your surgeon immediately.  While one can take a guess at what the fluid may be (saliva, blood) the best evaluation will be in person by your surgeon. Thanks for posting your question. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Swelling means see you surgeon

Your swelling may be fluid or it could be a swelling of one of you saliva glands.   Examination will solve  the diagnosis and then lead to a correction.   This should be an easy problem.  My Best,  Dr C

Swelling under Jaw after Neck lift.

Dear Maggie55, I would suggest that you see your surgeon asap for a follow up appointment and evaluation of this area. Once your surgeon examines you he/she will be able to properly diagnose. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Swelling 2 months after necklift

This should be immediately evaluated and treated by your facelift surgeon. You may have developed a fluid collection in this are which is rather unusual after such a long time.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon reevaluation

The best thing to do is to go back to the surgeon who operated you. This needs to be examined and the best decision will depend on that. Your surgeon will decide on what will be the best thing to do. 

Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Jupiter Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after neck lift

You need to have your surgeon evaluate you. It is difficult to assess this problem without a physical examination.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon