Is a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon a Better Choice Than a Plastic Surgeon for my Breast Revision? (photo)

I am having a vaginoplasty in Thailand and have decided to get my correction mammoplasty done at the same time. I have hypertrophic scarring of my inframammary incisions, double bubble and implant malposition of my left breast implant which slips to the side. The surgeon assigned to perform my revision is titled a Plastic Surgeon, should I opt instead for by a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon at the hospital where I had my original BA?

Doctor Answers 7

Is a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon a Better Choice Than a Plastic Surgeon for my Breast Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your procedures should always be performed by a Plastic #Surgeon who is a board-certified plastic surgeon. In fact, your procedures should always be performed by a #Plastic Surgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery.  You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Plastic surgeon for breast surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I do not know the certification process overseas, but I wold make sure that he is boarded in plastic surgery and performs a lot of breast surgery.

Choosing Plastic Surgeon?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Selection of plastic surgeon is the most important decision you make when considering the types of procedures you are considering. Both are associated with significant risks/complications  that may be avoidable.

 I would suggest that you do your due diligence carefully and select a board certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. The board certification in and of itself is just a starting point;  you will want to develop a sense of confidence that the plastic surgeon you are considering does good work consistently. For example, you may be helpful to talk to previous patients who have been under the care of the same surgeon.  If at all possible, have the surgery performed close to where you live,  for improved follow-up and handling of complications.

 I hope this helps.

Is a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon a Better Choice Than a Plastic Surgeon for my Breast Revision?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Better to see the EXACT qualifications of each surgeon! Also why not find a boarded PS in NEW Zealand??  

Plastic or plastic/reconstructive surgeon for revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In the United States, board certified plastic surgeons are trained in both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. Our national organization, now the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, was formerly known as the American Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. You should make sure that your surgeon is properly trained and board certified in the discipline. I do not know the standards applicable in Thailand but regardless of where you have your surgery, research into your doctor's credentials is essential.

Plastic surgeons and plastic and reconstructive surgeons are the same thing in the US.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A plastic surgeon should be board certified as a plastic and reconstructive surgeon.  Make sure you inquire about credentials.  Lots of people refer to themselves as plastic surgeons who have never been in an operating room.  I can give you no meaningful advice if you choose to have your procedure in Thailand.

Is a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon a Better Choice Than a Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If this were in my country, I would assume these are identically trained surgeons who have chosen which title to use. In Thailand, who knows? If your breast surgeon is near your home, I would see that surgeon again. If you need follow up, which is likely, you will not want to travel to Asia again.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.