Which type of implants give the softest feel and natural look ?

Hi, I'm getting textured tear drop shaped implants (behind the muscle) to try and achieve a natural look. I'm a large B cup but after kids would like a slight lift and aiming to go up one full + size using 260cc. I'm worried the textured tear drop is firmer to feel and does not drop as much as smooth silicone implants, does this mean tear drop isn't really the most natural look in the long term ? Thanks : )

I appreciate your question.

The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.

Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture. Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Round implants tend to look the most natural

Thank you for your question.  Most surgeons use round implants rather than the tear drop shaped ones because they feel that the round implants give the most natural look.  Tear drop shaped implants tend to leave a wider space between the breasts; therefore less cleavage.  Textured implants also tend to have a little higher rupture rate. I like the round moderate plus profile implants.  Be sure to see an experienced plastic surgeon.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implants with softest feel, natural look

Hello, the majority of my patients choose round cohesive silicone gel implants, and most are very happy with the natural look and feel of their breasts afterward.  This is not to state that other implants are necessarily inferior, but this type implants has provided very good results in my practice.  

• Good questions. Much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
  • 1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” and feel will be optimal.
  • 2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's responsibilities. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.
  • 3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
  • 4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc.
  • Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
  • I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.