Restylane followed by IPL in under eye area. Will this accelerate the breakdown of the Restylane?

I had an issue with protruding eyes (not related to a thyroid condition) which was corrected using a orbital rim implants, fat grafts and also some Restylane in the right eye. I have an issue with dry eyes caused by meibomian gland dysfunction which my opthamologist wants to use a relatively new treatment called "E-Eye". This is a technique where IPL is targeted at the eyelid margins, however the light also strikes the entire upper cheek area. Will this accelerate the breakdown of the Restylane?

Will IPL breakdown Restylane

Thank you for sharing the good question. IPL is a superficial treatment to the skin. Its use above areas treated with Restylane injections will not effect the filler. Good luck with the IPL therapy. I hope it makes your dry eyes better. 

IPL and Restylane

No, all good. Restylane will not degrade following IPL treatments. IPL is filtered light that treats the upper layers of skin. 

Restylane is placed in the deeper layers of skin- so entirely safe with no breakdown issues. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

IPL and Restylane

IPL should not absorb Restylane. Only hyaluronidase such as Vitrase will dissolve Restylane that is injected.  Best, Dr. Green

Fillers and IPL

The IPL will not degrade or effect the Restylane in any way. I hope the IPL is helpful for the meibomian gland dysfunction. This is a new and exciting use for IPL.

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and IPL

IPL and other laser devices have no effect on the breakdown or effect of hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane.   Even in more aggressive techniques that use heat to tighten skin, the fillers seem to be unaltered.  However, great care should be taken with an broad-based light or visible light in the area of the eye.  If extreme caution is not taken and even if appropriate precautions are taken, there is a risk of retinal injury that can be permanent.  When considering a technique that could be considered experimental, it is advisable to get a second opinion.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon