I would like to know if there are any restrictions on driving after surgery for a breast reduction and for how long please?

Driving After Breast Reduction

Thank you very much for your question.

Every surgeon's protocol for postoperative activity restriction is different, so I recommend contacting your surgeon to see their preference.

I generally advise patients to avoid driving for at least 5 days if they can, and to be off of their prescription pain medications.

Chicago General Surgeon

Scarless breast reduction

If you qualify for this variation of the operation I tell my patients the only limitation to their activity of any kind is their own discomfort.  Since there are no sutures to come apart you can be as active as you want as soon as you feel up to it. You would have to find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to see if this is the right approach for you. It's not for everyone. Good luck on your research. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

When to Drive After Breast Reduction Surgery

Check with your surgeon about this, for my patients, I tell them that they most likely will be able to start driving, return to work and resume social activities after the first week. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Driving after Breast Reduction

Consult with your surgeon for post-operative instructions but you should be okay to drive once you are no longer taking any pain medications.

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, I advise my patients to avoid driving for about 1 week and as long as they are on narcotic pain medication.  Hope that helps!  Please be sure to review your postoperative instructions with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Driving after surgery

The typical restrictions is no driving for the first week and while you are taking the pain medication.  Depending on when your doctor sees you after surgery, usually at 7-10 days they will give you further instructions from there. Good luck with surgery.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon