How long after having a BA can I pick up my child?

Lifting Your Child Post Breast Augmentation

You should avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for six weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

How long after having a Breast Augmentation can I pick up my child?

Careful explicit instructions should be given to you by your plastic surgeon before your breast augmentation and you've must follow your surgeons advice.  In my practice we asked that she lift nothing heavier than 5 pounds during the first 2 weeks of recovery after breast augmentation.

Breast augmentation post op care

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to first consult with your operating surgeon in regards to your personal recovery and their post operative instructions as every surgeon has their own unique set of instructions for their patients.  That being said, i our practice we advise our patients to avoid any heavy lifting for at least 2-3 weeks after surgery.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

I usually instruct my patient not to carry anything heavier than 15lbs for at least 2 full weeks and return gradually to regular activity level at 4 weeks. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to help you plan for recovery in this regard.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Lifting?

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to begin heavy lifting four weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Lifting Children Post Op

Thank you for your question. This will depend on a number of factors. Your Plastic Surgeon will have their own preferred post op protocols for activity restriction. As well the weight of your child is a factor. I ask my patients to avoid heavy lifting- over 10lbs for 6 weeks post op, however there are modified lifting and carrying approaches for parents of small children which I advise and explain to my patients. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to help you plan for recovery in this regard.

All the best

Picking up my child after breast augmentation

If you ask 10 plastic surgeons, you will get 10 answers as you can see.  I tell my patients they can do almost anything they want at almost any time as long as they do it slowly and listen to their body.  Picking up something heavy and quick (an 6 year old having a temper tantrum in a store) is a lot different than an 18mo old from a crib.  What I tell other surgeon's patients is to do what that surgeon told them to do.

Eric Mariotti, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

BA Recovery

Thank you for your question. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Childcare after breast augmentation

The most important thing to consider is the weight of your child.  Generally speaking you will be unable to a lift a baby for the first week or so.  After a week you should be able to begin easing into lifting 10-20 pounds.  For older children, say over 2 1/2, you can assist them in getting into or out of their car seat, but I wouldn't want you lifting a toddler for several weeks.  In any case, the key is lifting with your knees and thighs and not with your arms and chest muscles.

Samuel Beran, MD

Lifting restriction after BA

Thanks for your question. It depends a bit from surgeon to surgeon on the instructions you will receive for post op care. I tend to limit lifting for the first week to about 10lbs, slowly increasing over the next 6 weeks. Avoid dedicated chest muscle exercise (bench press, push ups, flys, yoga) for about 4-6 weeks as well. I hope that helps.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon