Lines around mouth when talking after lip augmentation?

I had juvederm in my lips (which I've had before, but this time it's the new juvederm specific for lips that causes less swelling and is firmer that the old juvederm for lips. I had only a small amount inserted, but now I have lines around my mouth when I talk which I didn't have before. It's almost like the muscles around my mouth are puckering and it's pretty noticable.

Juvederm for lips

It can take two to three weeks for any swelling or bruising to settle after Juvederm injections.  If you are still not happy with your results, please return to your doctor for assessment.  You may need to have more Juvederm injected around your mouth or Botox to soften the lines.

Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm

It is hard to say what is going on without a picture. However, it sounds like you may be experiencing some swelling due to the filler. Swelling after a Hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm is normal and can up to two weeks to completely resolve. If you area still having this issue after all swelling is resolved and are unahppy with your results, I would advise you return to your injector. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Generally, filler doesn't cause increased lines, but swelling from the filler which can last up to 6 weeks can cause the appearance of new lines.  

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

New lines after filler around mouth

It is hard to say without pictures, what is going on. It might be that this is in the family of Juvederm, but not the Juvederm you are used to. Firmer products might cause this. It is also possible that there is some swelling causing this. If after 3 weeks, there is still an issue, go back to your injector and explain. It can always be dissolved.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm for the lips

Thank you for your question Laguna1234. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Juvederm is a filler that can be used to enhance the lips. Volbella was recently approved by the FDA for lip enhancement and lasts longer than Juvederm. It is difficult to assess a patient without a consultation and photographs. But swelling can last up to two weeks. I have my patients return two weeks after a treatment to take after photographs and assessing results. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Concerned About Postprocedure Appearance After Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  It is difficult to comment without seeing any photographs.  How long ago was your procedure done?  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  I would suggest that you return to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation to fully address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Any unwanted filler can be easily removed with Vitrase.  Hope this helps and best wishes!