My eyelids are uneven. What can be done? (Photo)

so I've been noticing this for the past year or so my left eye is way more open than my right it seems as tho my right eye has a much lower lid and is a shade or 2 darker in colour. I remember having something wrong with one eye when I was born and I needed surgery on it but then it got better so not sure if that's something but it has really bugged me to the point where Im shy & don't let people take photos of me bc I'm so insecure over it what can I do and how much would it cost around ?

Doctor Answers 4

Uneven upper eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have asymmetric upper eyelid ptosis and resulting brow elevation as compensation, which also changes the amount of upper eyelid skin. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

You have right upper eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Additionally there is bilateral brow compensation which suggests that there may actually bilateral upper eyelid ptosis that is latent on the left side.  That is essential to assess before surgery because correcting only the right side will cause the left to look heavy after surgery.  In correcting the right side, one needs to decide how much upper eyelid platform to expose.  One of the respondents indicated that you need fat removed from your upper eyelid lower eyelids.  I strongly disagree.  Less is more.  You need upper eyelid structure.  Be very careful in shopping for this service.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Blepharoplasty for asymmetry of eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A blepharoplasty of the right upper lid by a skilled Oculoplastic surgeon would improve on the symmetry. There may be some natural asymmetry - the right side of the face appears slightly smaller. Surgery on the right upper lid should accomplish several things - 1) expose the lashes so that they may be seen as on the left, 2) establish the lid crease to match the left upper lid crease precisely, 3) remove a modest amount of skin to match the left upper lid fold. I would recommend evaluation by an Oculoplastic surgeon as they would have the most experience adjusting lid levels, lid creases and symmetry.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Blepharoplasty (or eyelid surgery) can remove the excess skin contained in the upper eyelid, remove the excess fatty tissue from the middle of the eyelid, and remove the excess fatty tissue in the lower eyelid. The skin and muscle are then repositioned and additional excess skin is removed. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.