What kind of surgery would be required & how much would it cost to fix my breasts? Lift, augmentation, areola reduction (Photo)

I am 19 years old and have had breasts like this for as long as I can remember. I thought it was because I was a chubby child and lost a lot of weight during early teen years, however I know think I have tubular breast deformity. I am from New Zealand & wouldn't get the surgery done here due to lack of skilled professionals, but was considering Thailand or Australia. Do I need a tubular specialist or will a normal certified surgeon suffice? Please any advice would be much appreciated.

Doctor Answers 5

Tuberous Breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


It is a bit hard to tell from a single photo, but you may have tuberous breasts. Surgery usually involves a combination of breast implants and lift. This can be complicated and you should see a plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in this surgery. Looking at surgeons websites should give you some idea if they have this.

And also, there are many excellent plastic surgeons in NZ!

Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney

Nearly all plastic surgeons take care of this

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think you are on the spectrum of inferior pole hypoplasia.  At a minimum, you would need a circum areolar lift and augmentation. 

Ethan Philpott, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Tuberous Breasts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery and who is also a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgery.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon



Breast surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your breasts are ptotic (drooping) but not tubular. If you grab your breasts, that will be the volume of your lifted breasts, when just the excess skin is removed. The areola will be made smaller at the same time. The breasts can be made larger with an implant behind the muscle. Costs can vary greatly. 

Talmage Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. I'm not aware that any one plastic surgeon is better than another in terms of correcting tubular breast deformity, as long as they are Board-certified and do a lot of breast surgery. I would try to get a few different referrals and consultations arranged. You are young to be considering breast lift surgery because it can interfere with nipple sensation, but to accomplish your goals I think that's what you'd need to consider. I would also recommend a small-moderate breast implant to give you the fullness at the upper portions of the breast and some better cleavage. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.