What kind of compression garment should I wear on a long haul flight that is best for circulation post mummy makeover 8 wks ago?

Next week I am flying a 15 hr international flight (plus a 2 hr wait before my next 2 hr flight then a 4 hr drive after that) post MM abdominoplasty, liposuction and breast augmentation. I will be 8 weeks post op. Should I wear compression flight knee socks OR wear a full length compression (covers abdomen) garment that starts at my ankles that I was given post op OR should I wear both? I do have stockings from sclerotherapy that go from toes to top of thighs also. Which do you recommend please?

I would go with the thigh length compression garments

I don't think the abdominal compression garment  would necessarily help with DVT prevention, so of the other two, the thigh high compression stockings would be preferable. However, much better than any stocking is ambulation - be sure and get up and pace the aisles frequently during the flight and also consider doing leg exercises while seated to help increase circulation. And of course, ask your treating surgeon as their opinion should be the most important in your individual case.

Traveling by Air Weeks After a Mommy Makeover

Most patients are good to #travel 4 weeks after a #MommyMakeover. You should ask your plastic surgeon for specific advice per your procedure. Additionally, I would suggest you wear #TED #hose and also make a point to move about on the aircraft when feasible to prevent DVT.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

What kind of compression garment should I wear on a long haul flight?

Although I cannot remember a specific stocking or garment, I would recommend the use of a lower extremity stocking along, frequent ambulation, as well as lower extremity movement while sitting.  I do not think that the use of a full body garment will necessarily help when it comes to prevention of deep venous thrombosis. See if your surgeon agrees with the use of baby aspirin as well.  Best wishes for a safe trip.

Extemded travel 8 months after mummy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mummy make-over.

• Hello fellow kiwi - I know that trip well.
  • First, you need either your sclerotherapy stockings or knee high compression socks.
  • Second (ideally), you need a compression jumpsuit with no waist band.
  • These can be ordered by your surgeon or online from Design Veronique or Marena.
  • If your full length compression garment ends with a waist band - it can constrict circulation so don't use it.
  • A dose of aspirin, lots of water and getting up every 2 hours to walk up and down the plan will also help.
  • Have a safe trip!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS