Is a Facelift right for me at 40? (photos)

I am 39 years old and seriously considering a facelift. I have been doing botox and fillers for years but they don't address my real concern of premature laxity and jowling. Wrinkles not really a problem, but the jowling and laxity are. I am wanting a subtle lift to improve jowls, jawline & neck. Would you recommend this from my pics? Is a subtle lift achievable at my age, with my features? I have quite thick skin, is this an advantage or make things look less natural? Thanks very much.

Is a #facelift indicated for loose skin at 39 year old?

Thank you for your question and pictures.

Although young, there is so much botox and filler can lift and pull.  I see your neck muscles have detached already and started to hang down (likely a genetic component here at 39).

Repairing and reposition the anterior neck muscle followed by a lift around the ears would likely benefit you.  A SMAS lift (2 layer) would be advised for a longer-lasting facelift result.

You might consider adding some fat grafting to your face as fuller cheeks can rejuvenate a face nicely.

I would also consider a small or medium chin implant to help the neck and also harmonize with the rest of your face.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

39 YO Considerind a facelift

• From your photographs it appears a facelift is indicated as  your aging emphasises the loose neck jowls and midface sag.
  • The procedure requires a commitment of about 2 weeks to recuperate but if healthy you can have the surgery as an outpatient and return home to New Zealand in 2 weeks.
  • Time to forget about fillers and Botox and commit to surgical facial rejuvenation.

Fillers Can Only Do So Much; Facelift Sounds Appropriate

BOTOX and fillers won't directly address the premature laxity and jowls. While fillers can provide a slight lifted appearance, it is only a secondary effect. If tissues are sagging, they need to be lifted. The photos appear to show excess skin and laxity developing in the neck and jowl region, and the best way to address these issues is to lift them. You would most probably do well with a less aggressive procedure, because your degree of sagging is slight. You may also want to add volume, because we lose volume as we age. This can be done with fat transfer at the same time as the facelift. All these options can be addressed with your surgeon.Best wishes.

Is Facelift right for me at 40?

Thank you for posting your photos to help us better answer your question. Based off of these it does appear that your concerns would be addressed with a facelift and midface lift. The jowls and skin laxity you refer to are a gravity problem and can best be addressed with surgical intervention. Botox and fillers are great adjuncts to keeping a youthful appearance, but ultimately cannot provide the results of a facelift. Combining the midface with the lower face will allow a seamless transition throughout your face giving you a refreshed and younger looking appearance. Performing this operation at your age will give you benefits for the rest of your life. I think that you would have very nice results with this operation.

P. Craig Hobar, MD

You Appear to Be a Good Candidate

As you've already experienced, people age in different ways and at different speeds. Whether it's due to heredity, sun exposure, lifestyle habits, or any of the numerous other factors that determine skin quality, your photos suggest that you may indeed be eligible for facelift at this point. It's quite likely that you'd get the lifted, defined results you want, and at your young age, your results should last for more than a decade. See a qualified plastic surgeon near you, preferably one who specializes in facial rejuvenation. Best wishes.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Is a Facelift Ideal at Age 40

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.
During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.
Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™. Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. The best candidates for Lite Lift™ surgery have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but whose skin has elasticity and whose bone structure is well defined and do not smoke.

This procedure involves smaller incisions and is less aggressive than a traditional facelift.

At my practice, I perform a procedure called a mini-lift for patients who are just beginning to see signs of jowling and laxity. This procedure involves smaller incisions and is less aggressive than a traditional facelift, perfect for people who want just a subtle lift and who have only minor jowls. From your photos you would seem to be a good candidate for a procedure like this, but a consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon is necessary to say for sure. I hope this helps.

Its time

Although botox and fillers can some times buy you time, they do not address skin laxity.  Some people develop laxity at an early age due to genetics, sun exposure or a history of smoking.  In order to tighten and improve on the appearance of your cheeks and jawline a facelift would give you the best results.  If done by an experienced surgeon you should be able to achieve subtle and natural results.  Having thicker skin is an advantage.  Some volume enhancement with fat grafting might also help restore fullness and youth to your face if combined with a lift.  Best of luck.

Peter Hyans, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon

Contemplating a facelift

I think you are a great candidate for a face and neck lift.  If you are no longer satisfied with non-surgical options such as botox and fillers, it may be time for a more permanent solution.  You are beginning to show signs of laxity to the jowls and neck which can be corrected in a very natural way with surgery.  

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Facelift At Age 40

If one has true jowling it should be corrected in a surgical manner with a Face/Necklift for facial rejuvenation with a “Lift and Fill”type technique. A “Lift and Fill” facelift “Fills” the central fat compartments and corrects the jowls by surgically “Lifting”the SMAS. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who understands the science of aging and can correct this providing a natural looking result.

#facialrejuvenation#drrodrohrich#plasticsurgery

Rod J. Rohrich, MD