I have asymmetry / tubular breasts. I was wondering about the chance of nerve damage in my nipples? (photos)

- Nipple feeling/sensation loss - desired shape reality? I have a feeling implant + nipple reduction will be needed to obtain the asthetic look I am after... I am also wondering how delusional I am about my desired shape? (Please see images or my note book for my idea of "dreamy boobs.") My biggest fear is losing feeling in my nipples as that would be worse for my sex life than my current boobie state.

I have asymmetry / tubular breasts. I was wondering about the chance of nerve damage in my nipples?

Fortunately you do not have tubular breast.  However you do have mammary ptosis or sagging and will need a combination breast lift with implants.  The implant should be placed under your chest muscle.  The risk of permanent loss of nipple sensation is about 5%.

BA Goals

Thank you for your question and photos. You have slightly drooping breasts with low-set nipples. Possibly slightly constricted lower poles  but not true tuberous breasts. You may want to consider a breast lift along with implants in order to reposition the nipples. It is important that you be realistic about your desired outcome and have realistic expectations because the anatomy that you are starting with does not match what the women in your wish pics had. Certainly you could improve upon the things that bother you with a skilled, board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Fear of sensation loss

From you photos, you appear to be a candidate for a more formal mastopexy (lift) rather than just an areola reduction.  There is risk of sensation loss with augmentation and/or mastopexies.  If this is more important to you than the appearance of the breasts, then don't take the risk, however small it is of losing sensation, and don't have surgery.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation for tuberous breasts

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Sensation in the breast can change temporarily or even permanently after any breast procedure.
  • Usually, the feeling returns 6 weeks to 3 months afterwards.
  • This reflects the nature of the nerves to the breasts 
  • It isn't clear from the photos what if any lift you will need.
  • Your goal shape is quite full - you need an examination with a plastic surgeon to see what size implant and what style will suit you best -
  • But breast shape is not just size - you will keep your overall breast shape (where the breast sits on the breast, width, etc.) after a breast augmentation.
  • Depending on the lift, breast width and projection can change.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hi. Whilst the diagnosis of tuberous breasts in you is not certain you do certainly have droopy breasts and would require a lift with implants. The nipple numbness rate from this procedure is between 5-10% and may be permanent. Your ideal breasts are unrealistic as none of them have had a lift with scarring. Depending on the size of implant you choose I would probably offer you a crescent lift which is a minimal scar technique and will give the lowest nipple numbness rate. 

Tubular breasts?

You are a great candidate for the procedure.  You will likely only experience a temporary loss of nipple sensation early in the post op period, but this is not permanent and will restore with healing.  Make sure you see someone who has experience handling tuberous breasts and you will love your outcome.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon