Looking for advice on pain medication before Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation & Lift?

I'm travelling to Mexico for TT with BA/BL and have been told there may be issues with getting strong enough pain medication readily available and was hoping someone may have some advice on this?

Thank you for your question. Normall Medication is to be provided by the clinic and surgeon that will perform your surgery in your sıtuation its best to do more research before traveling for your surgery

Going to Mexico for Surgery

I have serious reservations about you traveling to Mexico for that type of surgery. Their standards are not the same as the US and most likely for your local NZ surgeons as well. Be aware of seeking surgery for less money. You could be putting your health at risk. They also have different pharmacy laws. I also do not advise that kind of travel for this type of surgery because if you do have a problem, who is going to take care of it, you need to have access for follow up care. Be leary. Good Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Pain meds and surgery

You are best to have surgery near your home in New Zealand not as far away as Mexico. How are you going to get post-op care from your surgeon?

Surgical tourism

Hi mignonb

I seriously advise you reconsider traveling for surgery.  Mexico is a third world country with different standards.  If you get a problem who will correct it?  What do you really know about the place where you will go, the surgeons, the implants, the ability to care for you in the event of an emergency?

NZ is a modern country with excellent doctors and medical care, plus, if a complication should occur, your doctor will be close by to take care of it.

You are already concerned about the medications, shouldn't you listen to your inner concerns?

I'm sure you are considering traveling for $ reasons.  Safety is always a first concern and it might be more prudent to spend more, if needed, have the procedures separately if needed.  Staged procedures are in general, safer and more predictable anyway.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

There are much greater concerns than pain medication inherent in your question...

Hi there-

We each have to make our own decisions, and you may already have your mind  made up, but I would not feel responsible as a physician if I didn't voice my serious concern regarding traveling to another country for the purpose of having cosmetic surgery. I my own practice, I see 20-30 women a year who need corrections or reconstructions after poor outcomes and complications experienced in Mexico, South America, or the Caribbean. 

To be clear, most qualified surgeons in your home country will not be comfortable taking on the care of a complication experienced as a result of surgery performed abroad.

Further, while there may be excellent surgeons available in those locales, quality health care requires a team of individuals, the proper setting and equipment, and careful decision making and compliance.

If you were my loved one, I would be very, very worried about the course of action you are considering.

Medical tourism problematic...

I would encourage you to make your decisions carefully; medical tourism although certainly cheaper, may not be the safest way to proceed. Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality/safety record. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably communicate with some previous patients as well. ***Make sure you also consider factors such as follow-up and treatment of complications that may occur, even in the best of hands. Best wishes.